Clevedon Town empty-handed in tale of two penalties at Shepton

PUBLISHED: 16:30 14 March 2019

George King fires home from the spot for Clevedon at Shepton Mallet (pic

George King fires home from the spot for Clevedon at Shepton Mallet (pic


Clevedon Town were left to rue a missed penalty as they came away empty-handed from Shepton Mallet after a 2-1 defeat in their Toolstation Western League Premier Division encounter.

Bradley Webb in action for Clevedon Town at Shepton Mallet, watched by Jack Spark (pic Webb in action for Clevedon Town at Shepton Mallet, watched by Jack Spark (pic

The visitors included three new faces in their ranks, having signed George King from Cribbs and taken Bradley Webb and Jack Spark on work experience loans from Bristol City.

And they had a chance to take the lead on 11 minutes when King was tripped in the box by Tom Hill, only for Syd Camper to see his weak spot-kick saved by Cameron Pike.

Shepton made the most of their reprieve to open the scoring on 16 minutes as Conrad Peck beat Dylan Wallis with a wind-assisted effort from 25 yards.

And worse was to come for Clevedon two minutes later when Tom Baker was dispossessed and home captain James Billing beat Wallis to make it 2-0.

Archie Ferris in action for Clevedon at Shepton Mallet (pic Ferris in action for Clevedon at Shepton Mallet (pic

The hosts might have scored a third on 26 minutes when a goal kick fell at the feet of Billing, but he blazed over the crossbar.

And Clevedon got a sight of goal moments later when Callum Kingdon’s long ball found Archie Ferris, whose shot was blocked by the leg of Pike.

The Shepton keeper produced an excellent save to turn King’s curling free-kick around a post on 41 minutes, before Webb went on a strong run on the left, cut inside and bent a shot wide.

Playing up the slope in the second half, Shepton started brightly and Billing cut in from the right to force Wallis into a low save at his near post.

Camper sent a free-kick into the hands of Pike on 52 minutes, then saw another effort blocked and fired the rebound wide.

Glen Hayer then picked out Webb at a free-kick on 65 minutes, but his shot was saved by Pike, who also pushed an attempt by Lucas Vowles wide of the post 11 minutes from time.

Clevedon halved the deficit on 82 minutes, though, when they were awarded a second penalty after King was tripped by Billing.

King blasted home to raise hopes of salvaging something from the match, then fired just wide from a Tyler Ashmead cross two minutes later.

Vowles had a last-minute shot blocked and Clevedon could not capitalise on five minutes of injury time as they fell to a fifth defeat in seven ahead of a trip to Odd Down on Saturday.

Clevedon: Wallis, Ashmead, Webb, Kingdon, Baker, Spark, Camm (Hayer 66), Smith (Holden 60), Ferris, King, Camper (Vowles 75). Unused sub: Nicholson.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times