Seasiders held to two draws

PUBLISHED: 14:44 14 November 2012

Reeko Best.

Reeko Best.


Clevedon Town have been held to two 1-1 draw in their last two outings against Bishops Cleeve and Shortwood United.



CLEVEDON started strongly and for the most of the first half dominated the Evo-Stik Southern League game against Bishops Cleeve.

Despite efforts from Scott Murray Dave Stone, Giani Kapika and Ben Murray, there was no score at half time.

The second half started in much the same vein and on 53 minutes, Clevedon took the lead when a dribble through the middle by Scott Murray saw him lay off a pass into the box, where Stone stepped over the ball and it fell to Ben Murray who netted.

Bishops Cleeve woke up and Carl Brown in particular, started to threaten the home goal. With Will Gayton and Michael Davis putting in good efforts as well, the visitors were always likely to score and on 66 minutes they were level.

Brown gathered the ball just inside of the Clevedon half and cut inside, beating the defence and slipped the ball past Dylan Castanheira in the Clevedon goal.

Clevedon almost regained the lead on 84 minutes when a long ball in to the visitors’ goal mouth by Scott Murray, found Steve Kingdon. Unfortunately, his header was just the wrong side of the upright.

With Jordan Walker being given his marching orders for a second bookable offence, the home defence held out strongly for the last five minutes for the draw.

Clevedon Town man of the match was Steve Kingdon.



CLEVEDON made the short journey up the motorway to Meadowbank for this first ever encounter with Shortwood United in the Evo-Stik Southern League, Division One South and West League.

The visitors scored first on three minutes when a defence splitting pass from Bawan Hussain found Reeko Best, who chipped Tom King in the home goal to put them 1-0 up.

Clevedon had further opportunities through Stone, Kapika and Best to put them further ahead, but to no avail and the half ended with the score on 1-0 to Town.

The second half started with Shortwood jumping out of the blocks and they equalised five minutes into the half when a cross in to the Clevedon box from Mark Pritchett was headed on by James Coates to Joe Tustain, who had the simple task of putting the ball past Dylan Castanheira to bring the scores level.

Further chances fell for Kapika, Best and Ben Murray had a header well saved. Late on, Dan Williams saw his strong header from Hussain’s corner cleared off the line.

Clevedon Town man of the match was Reeko BEST

Clevedon entertain Cirencester Town tonight (Wed) at the Hand Stadium (7.45pm). On Saturday, they are home again, this time to North Leigh (3pm).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times