FA Cup: Saltash United 1 Clevedon Town 2

PUBLISHED: 17:26 10 August 2019 | UPDATED: 17:26 10 August 2019

Clevedon Town's Sam Larkins receives treatment during the FA Cup tie against Saltash United

Clevedon Town's Sam Larkins receives treatment during the FA Cup tie against Saltash United


A late goal from Lucas Vowles sent the Seasiders into the next round of the FA Cup in Cornwall on Saturday.

The entrance to the Kimberley Stadium, home of Saltash UnitedThe entrance to the Kimberley Stadium, home of Saltash United

After a bright start, they came under pressure from the Ashes but held out until the interval and then broke the deadlock with a superb effort from George King.

But the hosts hit back almost immediately and might have edged in front, before Vowles won it with a fine strike of his own.

The visitors got the first glimpse of goal inside the first 30 seconds, but Alex Twiggs dragged his shot horribly towards the left corner flag.

And Tom Creed was called into action for the first time, on a difficult day for goalkeepers, soon after to claim a cross from Daniel Lewis under his crossbar.

Clevedon Town and Saltash United players shake hands before playClevedon Town and Saltash United players shake hands before play

Syd Camper's first touch let him down as he broke onto a pass from King, allowing Ryan Rickard to block at his feet at the cost of a corner.

The set-piece came to nothing, but a second corner was returned to King, who danced towards goal and saw his effort cleared to Archie Ferris, whose shot was cleared off the line by Sam Leary.

Creed got down to save from Ryan Richards, but let the ball squirm from his grasp and was glad to see an offside flag go up as another Saltash player looked to pounce.

Then King tried his luck with a free-kick from almost 40 yards, but fired well over the crossbar and into the surround fencing.

Saltash left-back Chris Mechanick took aim at the other end, but sent the ball higher over the fencing and into a neighbouring garden around the quarter-hour mark, before Richards glanced a header from a Lewis cross well wide.

Henry Wilson's first-time attempt was comfortably saved by Creed on 20 minutes, before King and Vowles combined well on a counter-attack, which saw Camper's cross put behind.

But the Ashes went close midway through the first half when Callum Martindale's close-range header from a right-wing cross flew over the crossbar, before David Trott fired wide of the left-hand post moments later.

And Sam Hughes then got into a good position on the right of the box and tried to pick out Martindale, whose effort was blocked behind for a corner, which Callum O'Brien headed wide.

Creed smothered a deflected attempt from Hughes at the foot of his near post as Saltash remained on the front foot, with Clevedon reduced to playing long balls upfield for the willing Vowles to chase.

One such attempt from Sam Larkins was badly overhit and the frustration in Vowles was clear to hear, before Clevedon had a let-off on 40 minutes.

A corner from the left was missed at the near post and reached O'Brien, whose deflected shot was clawed past the post by Creed, who collided with the upright.

And the next corner reached Mechanick, whose shot was headed off the line by Kingdon, as the interval came at a good time for Mickey Bell's men.

Saltash were out early for the second half, looking to maintain their momentum playing up the slight slope and with the wind at their backs.

But Clevedon had the first sight of goal after the restart as King got to the byline on the right and picked out Vowles, but he got underneath the ball and could only head it up in the air, before the hosts cleared.

O'Brien headed over from a corner for the hosts on 53 minutes, with Trott sending another low drive just past the post moments later.

Then the visitors had a sight of goal soon after, when Camper's cross from a half-cleared corner was glanced on by Ferris, but King could not convert at the far post, before an offside flag went up.

But Saltash went closer on 62 minutes as David Barker sent Richards into space on the right and his cross found Lewis, whose header dropped just over the crossbar.

There was another chance for Clevedon when Vowles played in Camper on the left, but Leary produced a timely block at the expense of a corner.

Glen Hayer raised a cheer from home fans when his volleyed clearance bounced off the roof of a nearby house and over, but Saltash substitute Reece Thompson then forced Creed into parrying his well-struck shot.

Creed had to push away a dropping ball after Lewis waltzed to the byline on the right and saw his cross deflected towards the far post, but the Seasiders then struck as substitute Ben Griffiths advanced through midfield and King let fly to beat Rickard with a superb left-footed strike on 71 minutes.

Their joy was shortlived, though, as Saltash were awarded a free-kick just outside the box moments later and Mechanick sent it over the wall and past Creed's right hand, just inside the post.

And the hosts went close to taking the lead when substitute Jason Vincent saw a header fly just past the far post.

But Clevedon regained the lead with only six minutes left as Vowles, who had been such a willing front-runner all afternoon, found some space on the left wing and cut inside to send a low right-footed shot into the far corner of the net.

Vincent forced Creed into action once again as normal time drew to a close, with Saltash going agonisingly close from an inswinging Martindale free-kick, as Trott attempted to bundle the ball home at the far post but was denied by Creed, who was hurt in the process.

Home players and fans claimed the ball had crossed the line Referee James Gould looked at assistant Nuria Bonet and ignored appeals for a goal, with Clevedon then seeing out stoppage time to bank £2,250 in prize money and set up a home tie against Bristol Manor Farm on August 24.

Clevedon Town: Creed, Ferguson, Biggs (Griffiths 69), Kingdon, Hayer, Ferris, Twiggs (Eastwood 84), Larkins, Vowles (Feltham 87), King, Camper. Unused subs: Nicholson, Dangerfield, Groom.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times