Portishead junior reach the semi-finals

PUBLISHED: 15:29 25 March 2015 | UPDATED: 15:29 25 March 2015


Portishead Under-11s reached the semi-finals of the cup after defeating Milton Nomads 6-0.

PORTISHEAD Juniors Under-11s travelled to Milton Nomads for the quarter-final of the cup and came away with a commanding 6-0 victory.

Nomads started brightly and almost took the lead in the first minute, but Harri Battista made a great save. Juniors grew into the game and during a three-minute spell literally killed off the match.

Jack Nattress scored twice, the second a superb lob from distance. Man of the match Jacob Weekes’ goal was the pick of the bunch, a drive from outside the box. In the final minute of the first-half, Ethan Monks scored direct from a corner kick.

Nomads came back strongly in the second half, defending well but struggled to create a clear chance. As the game came to a close, Juniors extended their lead through Sam Rees and then unleashed their goalkeeper Battista up front, who duly scored with his first touch following a great ball by Rory Moir.

NAILSEA Athletic Under-11s registered their third victory over Cheddar Valley Dynamos this season, running out narrow 2-1 winners.

Early on, Lewis Thatcher combined well with Evan Williams and, along with Harry Kenny and Luke Jordan in midfield, took the attack to Cheddar, who responded by counter attacking and Nailsea were grateful for the sharp reactions of Luis Bohin in their goal.

After some scrappy play, Lewis Thatcher found Tijane Diallo, who took aim and let fly with a shot that cannoned in off the Cheddar post.

However, Cheddar were soon back on level terms when Bohin again saved well, but the rebound found a Cheddar forward, who scored the deserved equaliser.

After the break, man of the match Ben Hanley was having an outstanding game at right back, supporting Jonny Westbrook-Smith in the centre of defence, while Lewis Thatcher, who replaced Bohin in goal, made some fine saves.

The deciding goal, when it came, was the result of three fine pieces of play. Oliver Kite showed great persistence to win the ball for Nailsea and then set Michael Vickers off down the wing.

Vickers beat the full-back and then fired a superb low cross to the feet of Diallo, who coolly shot past the excellent Cheddar keeper to keep Nailsea in contention for second place in the league.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times