Portishead get back to winning ways

PUBLISHED: 14:32 22 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:32 22 February 2017

Football generic picture

Football generic picture


Portishead got back to winning ways after a couple of disappointing results

Westbury Utd 1

Portishead Town 2

After a disappointing result 5-0 defeat at Warminster, Portishead travelled to Westbury to try and get back to winning ways.

The tempo, attitude and effort was noticeably better from the start, with Tyler Davis, Dan Hamblin and Calum Townsend positive and dangerous.

It was Townsend who opened the scoring with a screamer that flew past the Westbury goalkeeper and into the corner. Portishead looked solid at the back and competitive in midfield, where James Hughes, Joe Ellis and Kieran Marsden were prominent. Westbury were fairly anonymous and George Shanks-Boon, making his return to the Portishead goal, was a spectator.

Westbury came out more determined in the second half and levelled the score after only two minutes. Portishead kept moving forward and Townsend found the net with a great strike only to be ruled offside.

Portishead forced a corner in the 65th minute and from close range, Ollie Hatfield forced the ball home. It was probably what Portishead deserved, but things took a turn for the worse when Lloyd Harding was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Harrison Williams came on to replace Townsend and Portishead managed to hold on to collect all three points.

Portishead Town 0

Cheddar 2

Promotion-chasing Cheddar came to Bristol Road expecting a hard game against an inconsistent Portishead side and were surprised with the ease that they cut through the Posset rear guard.

With the game barely two minutes old, Town were undone by a long crossfield pass which resulted in Adam Jones tapping in following good work by Craig Mawford and Chris Coombes.

For 10 minutes it looked as though the visitors would increase their advantage, before Portishead finally began to string some passes together.

With Joe Ellis and George Coy working tirelessly in midfield, the home team had more than their share of possession in the rest of the half without really troubling Kieran Webster in the away goal, although Ollie Trevarthen headed wide from a Luke Mortimore cross.

Posset came out with more energy in the second period as the game began to open up. However, Town were only able to muster a couple of half chances and generally Webster was still untroubled and was well protected by the uncompromising back four in front of him.

Substitutes Al Harlington, Robbie Cox and Harrison Williams provided more options and the home team changed to a back three to help in the search for an equaliser.

This in the end gave the Cheesemen the chance to wrap up the points and they did so nine minutes from time when Ricky Bennett sent the prolific Callum Ham away to beat his man and fire home to seal the points for the visitors and send them to the top of the table.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times