Opening win for Nailsea

PUBLISHED: 14:34 19 September 2012

Portishead Under-15s.

Portishead Under-15s.


Nailsea Under-14s opened the new season with an excellent victory over Priory Rangers.

AFTER a tough season last year, Nailsea United Under-14s opening win against Priory Rangers was breathtaking.

Their strong character, teamwork and loyalty through those tough times, has resulted in some quality football against Priory, who fought back hard throughout the whole match.

Every player contributed to the spectacular goals by Ryan Evans, Kieran Grimmitt, Ryan Linham (2), Alex Knight (2) and Tom Ellis’s hat-trick. Ryan Linham was man of the match.

The Under-13s were punished for a slow start and found themselves 2-0 down after 15 minutes. Nailsea responded with Alex Spalding slotting home a penalty, followed by Ollie Briggs stabbing home an equaliser. Nailsea completed the half with a goal from Nathan Hall to go in 3-2 at the break.

Some great football from Nailsea in the second half was rewarded with another goal from Hall to give Nailsea a deserved 4-2 victory.

Olly Parsons was named man of the match and there was a special mention to goalkeeper Will Allward.

United Under-9s A player Freddie King scored four goals in the opening league match against Winscombe, the other scorers were Thomas Ballard, Harry Watters and Elliott Moore.

Winscombe replied with two fine goals of their own in each half as Nailsea won 7-2.

B team player James Warren scored three second half goals in the battle of the B teams. The other scorers were Jakob Hole (2), Harry Kenny, Harvey Coates and Charlie Parsons. Nailsea also scored the two Winscombe goals and United won 8-2.

Charlie Clode scored a goal in each half as Nailsea Athletic Under-12s maintained good possession, helped by Yorkie Man Reece Convery.

Nailsea were unlucky when Will Symonds hit the bar and a number of shots went wide, but despite relentless defending from man of the match Callum Rowan.

Nailsea were unable to secure a win, eventually going down 5-2 to Priory Pumas.

Despite a spirited performance, Nailsea Rangers Under-11s came out second best to a well-organised St George team.

The main highlight of the game for Nailsea was a third consecutive goal of the season from Dylan Jewell-Deverson, but this was unfortunately not enough as Nailsea lost 3-1.

CLEVEDON United Juniors Under-10s A team came away with all three points in an evenly-contested game against Burnham.

The game was fairly even in the first half, but just before the break, a throw-in from Fin Nolan found Ty Leaman in space to score.

Clevedon began the second half in control playing some fine football with Sam Dewfall, Max Pope, Nolan, combining well with Craig Woollard and Leaman up front.

A Clevedon breakaway led to a free kick being awarded, which was thumped home by Pope to make it 2-0. Burnham didn’t give up and made Tom Lee make a few fine saves before they reduced the arrears.

There was great all-round team work, including Craig Woollard, Roman Bessant and Fin Nolan.

The B team gave another great team display, but came up one goal short against Burnham. It took a McCauley Matthews cracker to open the scoring, but Burnham replied with two goals.

Emily Nicholson scored a fine goal after a great move involving Scott, Ben and Dan, and added a second soon after, which followed Burnham scoring again.

Clevedon conceded again, before McCauley scored a penalty, but Burnham scored again to win 5-4. Jamie Van de Velde and Alfie Hocking both did their bit in a good team effort.

The referee allowed play to flow in both games, well done to a young Cameron.

The Under-11 Panthers went one up after a cross was put away by Will Jones, but five minutes before half time Yatton equalised.

A cracking goal by Sam Lewis on the half-time whistle put Panthers 2-1 ahead. The Panthers dominated the second half and were unlucky not to increase their lead, with man of the match Harry John being in great form.

The Colts Under-9s turned out in force for their opening game of the season against Worle Juniors.

The first-half saw solid performances, including key saves by goalkeeper Doug Linnitt, good defending by Abi Howard and inspired passes by co-defender Finlay Sutton. Sam Carpenter was ably supported by midfielders Thomas Walford and Levi Greene.

Worle maintained the pressure and were 1-0 up at the break. The second half saw Clevedon’s Kipp Comrie play well in defence, as well as contributing to midfield. Tom Collins provided support and Jamie Pegler applied pressure to Worle’s defence. Worle scored a second goal and the game ended 2-0.

A LATE Luke Osgood winner, two minutes from time, secured victory for Portishead Town Juniors Under-14s in this local derby against Clevedon.

With the game heading for a draw, Osgood lost his marker at the far post to head home a cross from Ashley Leathem.

Midfielders Alex Twiggs and Leathem set up numerous opportunities for Osgood, Joe Hance, Tyler Ashmead, Oskar Todd and Fernando Monseratte. But a host of missed chances looked to have proved costly when Clevedon equalised from a free kick. Ashmead had previously broken the deadlock early in the second half when he converted a cross from Osgood.

Hard tackling defenders Jamie Whitfield, James Robinson, James McCall and David Warnes confidently dealt with limited Clevedon attacks, ahead of keeper Will Bennett.

Callum Jones and Sam Torrance both excelled in a defensive central midfield position, leaving Twiggs and Leathem to concentrate supplying the attack.

Up front, Osgood, Ashmead, Hance and Monseratte always looked dangerous, with the latter awarded man of match.

The Under-9s started their league season in style against Milton Nomads. The A team raced into a 4-0 lead with a first half hat-trick from Ethan Monks.

To their credit Nomads fought back with two early goals in the second half, but a further hat-trick from Sam Rees, goals from Jack Nattress, Jake Brand and a fourth from man of the match Monks, resulted in a convincing 9-2 victory for Portishead.

Not to be outdone, the B team also put in a great team display against Nomads with a 6-0 victory. Man of the match Reilly Civill-Holt tormented the home defence with four goals, Alex Rees and Josh Darwall were also on target for Portishead.

The team were supported well by Jake Foxon, who was dominant in the centre midfield providing three assists.

The Under-12s continued their impressive start to the season with a 10-2 victory over Nailsea.

The first goal came after a free-flowing move involving Jay Murray and Morgan Davies with Kieran Smith finishing at close range. Goal two was a close range header from Matt Twiggs.

The third goal was a wonderful 20 yard strike from Archie Denness and the fourth was a great first-time strike from Harvey Williams from a cross from Warner Stephens. Matt Twiggs scored the fifth before Nailsa scored, giving Posset keeper Cody O’Neill no chance.

After the break, Murray netted the sixth before Nailsea scored their second. Dylan Hebblethwaite met Murray’s corner to drill into the net and Murray chipped in the eighth.

Hebblethwaite powerfully headed in Murray’s overhead kick to make it nine and Kieran Noble scored from another Warner corner to make it 10-2.

Portishead Under-13s opened the scoring against Burnham with goals from Ben Cureton and Henry Colston early in the game. Burnham were then allowed to score a succession of goals leaving them 3-2 up at the end of the first-half.

Portishead dominated the second half and a well struck penalty from Andrew Head and goals from Jamie Scott-Green and Declan Hay saw Portishead secure a 5-3 victory.

YATTON Under-14s got the new season off to a flying start with a great team performance against Berrow.

Joe Gentry and Declan Walters scored hat-tricks and Jamie Davis added one more goal to give Yatton a 7-4 victory.

All the boys played well and James Copeland had a great game in central defence.

The Under-11s started this game in full control with long spells in Portishead’s half, eventually going on to win 3-0.

A good pass from Jefferies saw Carpenter score the first goal, with McDermott slotting in the second shortly afterwards.

The second half saw Yatton in defiant mood, with a goal mouth scramble leading to Jefferies securing a goal. The final goal resulted from a well-struck shot from Gentry which rebounded off the bar, giving him a second chance to find the net.

For Yatton, this was a great team performance from all players.

The Under-13s played host to Kewstoke Juniors end in a match that saw both teams fielding reserve goalkeepers.

The first-half saw plenty of action with Yatton conceding after three minutes only to see Scott Shephard equalise with a superb solo effort two minutes later. Both teams failed to score from the penalty spot, but Lucas Finnegan put Yatton back in front with a fine goal before Kewstoke drew level a minute before the break.

Ten minutes into the second half, Finnegan fed the ball through to Sam Starr who put Yatton ahead and a similar ball from Shephard gave Starr his second and looked to put the home side safe.

Kewstoke had other ideas and battled hard, but excellent performances from Yatton keeper Tom Hicks and a goal line clearance from defender Ben Bushell meant the visitors could only manage one more before the whistle, giving Yatton a 4-3 victory.

PORTISHEAD Under-15s, last year’s league champions, are pictured in their new kit, courtesy of Portishead Blinds. They defeated Cheddar Valley Dynamos 3-1 in their first game of the. Photo: Glenn of Focus 14.

CLEVEDON United Colts Under-10s pictured in their new kit. The team is looking for new players into our friendly team. Anyone interested in joining should contact Richard Pass at or call 07709 055935.

Swiss Valley Rangers U13 team (Year 8 at school) are looking for new players to strengthen their squad. Most of the current team go to Gordano, Clevedon or St Katherine’s School. For further information about coming along for a trial, call manager Steve Davis on 07909 641049.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times