Narrow victory takes Nailsea & Tickenham into the cup final

PUBLISHED: 09:53 18 April 2018 | UPDATED: 09:53 18 April 2018

Worle AFC  v Nailsea & Tickenham.

Worle AFC v Nailsea & Tickenham.


Nailsea & Tickenham defeated Worle to reach the final of the Somerset Senior Cup.

Worle 0

Nailsea & Tickenham 1

Nailsea & Tickenham travelled to Division 1 favourites Worle in this eagerly awaited Somerset Senior Cup semi-final.

From the outset, the home side attacked and it took the away side 15 minutes to get a foothold in the game. With the home team bombing forward, a long clearance from keeper Jason Mellor found Matt Pilgrim one-on-one with keeper Ben Dancey, who pulled off a quality save.

From the resulting corner, Gary Freeman’s header was cleared off the line. The Swags were enjoying the lion’s share of the game. Chris Gale hitting the side netting from a James Seeley cross. Seeley had a goal ruled out for offside minutes later.

The breakthrough came on 25 minutes, with Dan Cook heading home a Dom Graffagnino corner. Worle almost pulled one back on the stroke of half-time, Simon Hudson, hitting the side netting from close range.

The second half pulsated from end-to-end with both keepers having outstanding games. Mike Wallington. Cook, Freeman and Dan Paterson defended the Swags goal, the latter clearing off the line when Ryan Hodrien rounded Mellor with the goal at his mercy.

The game was played at pace, but the Swags held firm to set up a final against Premier League leaders, Chilcompton.

A special mention to Worle groundsman Gary Coles for preparing the pitch and 17-year-old Max Backwell on his first team debut.

Team: J Mellor, D Paterson, D Cook, M Wallington, G Freeman, S Pilgrim, D Graffagnino, K Mountford, C Gale, J Seeley, M Pilgrim. M Shaughnessy (C Gale), M Backwell (D Paterson), J Benjamin (D Graffagnino).

Nailsea & Tickenham Res 4

Yatton & Cleeve 1

Manager Jamie Smith described this win as one of the best performances of the season as the Swags picked up all three points against high-flying Yatton & Cleeve.

Dave Yeo opened the scoring after five minutes as a he met a deep Max Richards free kick and guided his header into the far corner.

N&T were then pegged pack for large parts of the first-half and the back three of Richards, Roberts and Yeo were forced to defend well, as did sweeper Max Richards.

Yatton & Cleeve finally levelled with minutes of the half remaining, a direct free kick on the edge of the box sailing past Jamie Mellor.

Youngster Reece Convery and Joe Pratt were causing Yatton problems down each side as N&T began to take control of the second half. Continued pressure paid off as Jimmy Potts found space 30 yards from goal and produced a fantastic chipped finish to make it 2-1.

The next goal came when Potts turned provider for strike partner Mark Ashley who lashed the ball into the top corner on the half-volley. Solid displays from Mcferran and Player in the middle of the park stopped Yatton playing any passing football.

There was still time to grab a fourth against their local rivals. Potts made another good run through the middle and made no mistake with just the keeper to beat.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times