Seasiders narrowly defeated at unbeaten Westbury

PUBLISHED: 09:22 28 November 2018 | UPDATED: 09:22 28 November 2018

Tyler Ashmead.

Tyler Ashmead.


Unbeaten Westbury United kept their record intact when they narrowly defeated Clevedon Town.

Westbury United 2

Clevedon Town 1

Clevedon Town travelled to Meadow Lane to take on unbeaten Westbury United and after taking an early lead and being denied a penalty that could have seen them two goals ahead and playing against 10 men, the home side recovered after the break to take the three points.

The visitors took the lead in the seventh minute. Elliot Nicholson found Lucas Vowles and he cut back inside before delivering a perfect cross into the box that found Syd Camper rising to send a bullet-header into the net.

The home side pushed forward looking for the equaliser and they might have got it when a shot from Callum Demkiv produced an excellent save from Clevedon’s Sam Blackiston.

Westbury went close in the 25th minute when a shot was cleared off the line by Clevedon’s man of the match and skipper Callum Kingdon.

The most significant event of the game occurred on 27 minutes when everyone in the ground with the unfortunate exception of the referee thought Clevedon should have had a penalty.

Harry Smith played the ball into the box for Camper and as he took aim the keeper dived bravely at his feet to block the ball which rebounded back out to Smith.

With the keeper out of position, Smith took aim and smashed the ball towards goal where it struck Jordan Pinder on the aim and deflected wide of goal.

All the Clevedon players, management and supporters were shouting for a penalty but the referee merely pointed for a corner, later claiming that he had seen the ball strike the Westbury player’s arm.

Further shots came from Vowles and Camper as the visitors reached half time with a narrow lead.

Westbury made a double substitution at the break looking to change the flow of the game, but it was Clevedon who created the first chance when Vowles’ free kick just clear the bar.

Clevedon nearly doubled the lead in the 55th minute when the ball was to Vowles and his cross to the far post found Camper, but he couldn’t quite get the right connection and his header finished in the side-netting.

Clevedon were made to rue their missed chances when the home side equalised a minute later. Demkiv played the ball through for his brother Daniel who was brought down in the area.

Callum Demkiv stepped up and although Sam Blackiston guessed correctly, he couldn’t quite get a hand to the ball as it finished in the back of the net making the score 1-1.

Westbury had their best period of the game as they tested Sam Blackiston who was up to the challenge.

Unfortunately there was nothing that Blackiston could do to stop Westbury’s second goal in the 74th minute. A free-kick was played into the near post where Ricky Hulbert rose unchallenged to head the ball home.

The home side were claiming for another penalty on 82 minutes when Westbury substitute Dan Kovacs got behind Clevedon substitute Danny Lock and tumbled in the box but the referee waved away their appeals.

Clevedon pushed forward looking for the equaliser and in the 85th minute a long throw by Callum Kingdon was headed on to Archie Ferris whose shot went narrowly wide of the near post.

Clevedon Town: S Blackiston, T Ashmead, E Nicholson (D Lock 79), C Kingdon (c), G Hayer, T Baker, A Ferris, H Smith (H Walton 79), S Camper, S Holden (A Camm 54), L Vowles.

Report and photos courtesy of

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists