Nailsea youngsters reach the cup final

PUBLISHED: 14:44 23 March 2011

DESPITE not firing on all cylinders, Nailsea United Under-14s reached the final of the Woodspring Cup with a clinical display against Priory.

DESPITE not firing on all cylinders, Nailsea United Under-14s reached the final of the Woodspring Cup with a clinical display against Priory.

Following a sluggish start, the game was effectively won in the first-half with goals from Blair Teanby and George King and a wonder free kick from Jordan Malone. Dan Smith rounded off proceedings with a typically bustling goal in the second half.

Nailsea Athletic Under-12s season ended with a goal rush and a 6-5 victory over Backwell Wanderers. Well-taken goals from Oliver Cattermole, Aaron Fisher and man of the match Liam Eyles put Nailsea in command at the half-time break.

However, the visitors put in a strong second half and pushed Athletic hard, but were ultimately outdone by further goals from Dan Rochford and two from Nathan Sharpe.

A much-improved Nailsea United Under-10s took the game to Clevedon, creating many opportunities. However, it was Clevedon who broke the deadlock with a well-worked goal.

Nailsea were up for the challenge with some great forward play with Nat Pinkney and Lewis Adams-Hoon doing much of the running. But it was a goal from Jack Sell that brought Nailsea level at half-time.

Clevedon went ahead again early in the second half, despite some terrific Nailsea defensive action from Jordan Freear, Ben Jeffrey and Ben Cowman. Owain Carter (in goal for Nailsea) was also on form, with Ted Turner providing great support in defence.

It was Sell again who got the equaliser for Nailsea, receiving praise for a determined effort. Will Hodges came close to scoring on several occasions. Man of the match for Nailsea was Tom Meakin.

PORTISHEAD Under-12s slim chances of challenging for the league title were extinguished in an even match of few chances.

It was a committed performance from both sides and an entertaining spectacle for the neutral observer. Kewstoke’s lively forward line had to be closely watched and the home back line of James McCall, David Warnes and the highly impressive James Robinson stuck to their task.

As an attacking force, Portishead promised much but struggled to find the final pass and this proved to be their undoing. The best chance fell to Lewis Harvey whose first time shot was well saved.

Midway through the second period the visitors enjoyed a good spell of possession and from a clever move the ball broke for their one clear chance which was dispatched to give them a slender victory.

This was always going to be a tough semi-final between the top two sides in the league and it did not fail to live up to expectations.

Cheddar took the lead early on when Juniors Under-14s gave possession away in the middle. The pace was quick and both sides were fully committed with Juniors just edging it going into the half-time break 3-2 to the good.

Juniors then made some changes bring on fresh legs. Unfortunately the game was held up for a while due to a injury. From the restart, Juniors started to take the game more to Cheddar scoring a couple more following some well-worked moves.

It was a total squad effort with Juniors needing to be at their best.The goals came from Tim Brown (2), Adam Buckley, Billy Sweeting and Jack Parsons.

CLEVEDON United Under-10s A and Nailsea United contributed to a closely fought game which ended 2-2.

Clevedon started well and took an early lead through Liam Smallwood. Strong defending meant the score stayed the same at half-time.

Shortly after the break, Nailsea equalised only for Dane Richardson to restore Clevedon’s lead. Nailsea did not give up and scored a late equaliser. Player of the match was Mackenzie Poulter.

The B team made it six wins in a row against a spirited Nailsea side. Clevedon took an early lead through an excellent Lewis Smith strike. This was doubled when Oliver Keen headed in a Smith corner.

In the second half, Clevedon went further ahead through Louis Jones. Nailsea responded, only to be thwarted by excellent goalkeeping from Jordan Williams. Player of the match was Beth Barzotelli.

IT WAS back-to-back wins for both Swiss Valley Rangers Under-10 teams in the away fixtures against Berrow.

In the A game, the Blues were quickly on the offensive and into the lead as Dan Harrison and Charlie Last pressured the Berrow defence and Tom Hayden scored the first of his hat-trick.

Callum Pauline’s penetrating runs from deep were too much for Berrow, resulting in goals for Harrison and Hayden, before he got a much deserved pair after the interval. The Blues defence shone as player of the game, Ben Vaughton, kept Berrow at bay with several timely tackles, and stand-in goalie, Adam Major, had an inspired game, only conceding one through a late counter attack to make it 6-1.

The B game was a closer run contest. The Whites were ahead through Matthew Candow in the first minute. Berrow looked capable of equalising and Ben Tidcombe was the stand-out defender, making a number of saving tackles before the equaliser.

But it was always going to be Rangers’ game as forwards Josh Hewitt and Josh Loveridge combined well to force open the Berrow defence, both picking up goals.

Whites’ player of the game, Jack Major, scored a great goal to put the game beyond reach. A consolation goal for Berrow, who never gave gave up the fight, narrowed the scoreline to 4-2 right at the end.

DESPITE sustained Gordano Valley Rangers Under-14s pressure, it was Milton Nomads who took the lead early in the second half.

The home side had several good chances before a Beesley free kick was headed in by Davies. Gordano continued to press and Slocambe found the net just before the whistle. Rangers’ man of the match was Beesley.

ST GEORGE Under-14s relinquished their 100 per cent league record with this draw against Cheddar Valley Jets.

The home side had most of the possession but, try as they might, St George just could not find their way through the massed ranks of Jets blocking the route to the goal. The Jets goalkeeper probably had less to do than Peter Davies in the St George goal, as he was called upon to make a number of one-on-one saves from the lone Jets forward on the counter-attack.

Jack Joseph was the most lively home player, especially when playing as left back in the first half. George Peters never stopped running, while for the Jets, Will Ashman and Connor Black stood out.

YATTON Under-11s went a goal down to Weston Crusaders and fought back to earn a draw.

Yatton battled on and finally pulled one back through George Frost, set up by Lucas Mortimer. Yatton’s defence played a strong game with some great saves from goalie Chandler Kowalski.

Yatton’s man of the match was awarded to defender Ben Bushell.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times