Nailsea United held to two draws

PUBLISHED: 11:17 25 April 2018 | UPDATED: 11:17 25 April 2018

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2278. Picture: Terry Ife

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2278. Picture: Terry Ife


Nailsea United were held to two draws in their latest league matches.

Wrington Redhill 1

Nailsea United 1

With no chance of honours this season, previous champions Nailsea United were looking towards the future with manager Chris Adamson running the rule over some of the younger players at the club.

Already given starts in the senior side have been Luis Parnham and Ryan Ford both of whom have acquitted themselves well.

Nailsea were on the pace straight away with Ford finding Harry Hope who in turn played in Adam Marsden, his low shot was just wide of the far post.

Although United were having more of the ball, it was Wrington that took the lead on eight minutes. Owen Adamson could not hold a close range shot with the rebound eagerly fired home to give the home side the lead.

United reacted immediately from a James Springett free kick which was headed back into the goal area by Ben Pinkney, but Adam Marsden could not get enough power into his header. The visitors continued to press with shots from Hope and Parnham being denied.

The second half started as the first half ended with Nailsea taking the game to Wrington. The unrelenting pressure was rewarded on 58 minutes when a long ball by Scott Fisher was chased down by Marsden who set up to score.

With five minutes remaining perhaps the best chance came to Nailsea following a long kick by Owen Adamson which was controlled by Penberthy who played in Hope, but on the occasion his control failed him.

A special mention for Sam Iles making his first appearance at the heart of the defence, he looked assured and appears to be another youngster with a good future in front of him.

Nailsea United 0

Stockwood Wanderers 0

In this first midweek game, Nailsea hosted South Bristol side Stockwood Wanderers in a mid-table battle.

The home side went close when Harry Hope unleashed a powerful shot only to thud against the crossbar to rebound to safety. Five minutes later James Springett fed Kin but his low shot was gathered by the keeper.

Further chances fell to Adam Marsden and Hope as the first-half finished goalless.

Fifteen minutes into the second half a free kick on the right taken by Kin found Joe Sharps, but he was unable to adjust his feet with his first time shot going wide.

Two minutes later Stockwood had a golden opportunity to take the lead when they cut the Nailsea defence open to leave a one-on-one chance against keeper Owen Adamson.

The Stockwood player went around Adamson to leave himself the chance to push the ball into the empty net, incredibly he sliced the chance wide.

In a final move, Ben Pinkney was replaced by Ciaran Price as the Stockwood team became more robust with their tackles resulting in a red card being shown by the official.

On Saturday, Nailsea travel to league leaders Chilcompton Sports (3pm).

In other results, the Reserves had an emphatic 4-1 win over Burnham United Reserves with Tom Weaver grabbing a hat-trick. The B side brought a difficult season to an end with a defeat to Banwell.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times