Nailsea United enjoy penalty shoot-out success

PUBLISHED: 12:15 17 October 2018 | UPDATED: 12:15 17 October 2018

Football, a generic picture. Picture TERRY IFE

Football, a generic picture. Picture TERRY IFE


Nailsea United defeated Shirehampton in the League Cup after a penalty shoot-out.

Shirehampton 2

Nailsea United 2

Nailsea win 5-4 on penalties

For the second week running, Nailsea United were involved in a cup match, this time away to Shirehampton in the League Cup and winning on penalties.

Nailsea took the lead after seven minutes with a long kick from keeper Jack Smith not being dealt with by the Shirehampton defence allowing Matt Thomas to pick his spot to score his first goal for the first team.

It took until 20 minutes had elapsed for the home side to mount a concerted attack, first of all hitting the side netting and then having a shot blocked.

Five minutes later a Will Symonds cross was glanced goalwards by Luke Penberthy only to see the ball hit the upright. Shirehampton counter attacked forcing Smith to push away a dangerous free kick.

Shirehampton were beginning to get more control and took advantage when a long ball was not attacked by the United defence leaving a simple tap in to bring the scores level.

Worst was to come as on the stroke of half time a low shot from outside of the penalty area crept just inside the post to give the home side the lead.

Shirehampton were the first to see a chance after the restart bringing a fine save from Smith as they attacked. On 53 minutes Sam Olsen sent Will Symonds away but his powerful shot rose over the bar.

It did not take long for substitute Ryan King to make an impact when his strong free kick was touched by Sam Olsen which saw the ball rocket into the net for the equaliser and the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

Shirehampton converted their first two shots with James Springett and Adam Marsden matching them for Nailsea. The third home penalty was brilliantly saved by Smith with Luis Parnham converting the third United penalty.

It was just a matter of the United penalty takers holding their nerve which they did in style thanks to Tom Richens and Ben Pratt.

This was a much better performance from Nailsea after the disappointment of losing to Castle Cary last week. Hopefully, this result and performance can be carried forward to the league games starting with the home match on Saturday against Clevedon United at The Grove. Kick-off 3pm.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists