Nailsea & Tickenham take all three points at Wrington

PUBLISHED: 12:32 06 December 2017 | UPDATED: 12:32 06 December 2017

Aaron Latta.

Aaron Latta.


Nailsea & Tickenham manager took all three points on his visit to former club Wrington Redhill.

Wrington Redhill 1

Nailsea & Tickenham 2

Nailsea & Tickenham manager Alan Smith returned to his old club and took away the three points on off.

Missing a number of key players, the Swags drafted in two youngsters to bolster the squad. Playing on a heavy pitch up the hill, the game started at pace and within minutes Jimmy Potts went through on goal, Matt Hill diving at his feet.

Mat Pilgrim limped off after three minutes allowing the introduction of Joe Collins. The youngster was quickly into action, forcing another save from Hill, Bradley completing the clearance.

Gary Freeman missed a header from three yards from a corner as Wrington worked hard defensively with Liam Knight running constantly.

Playing down the slope, the hard-working Wrington side began to tire. The breakthrough came courtesy of youngster Brad Cogan who headed home a Josh Benjamin cross.

The second came from Dom Graffagnino with a free kick into the top corner past the reach of Hill.

In the dying seconds, Wrington pulled one back, a Jake Horton wonder strike from 30 yards beating Jason Mellor.

On Saturday, the two sides meet again in the cup with Wrington having home advantage.

India Cottage man of the match Aaron Latta.

Nailsea & Tickenham Res 2

Burnham 2

Nailsea & Tickenham Reserves had not taken to the pitch since midfielder Chris Corner broke his leg a few weeks before.

However, it was time to bounce back and Chris was on hand to watch the boys take to the turf.

For the first 15 minutes the home side had the best of the spoils, Charlie Gates nearly headed home, coming close to his first goal for the Swags. A number of runs in the final third could not find the end result might have given a well-deserved lead.

After 20 minutes, Joe Pratt drove into the Burnham box and was felled. Pratt stood up and netted from the spot.

It took Burnham no time to grow into the game and they took full advantage when a deep cross was headed home for the equaliser.

The advantage shifted and Burnham began to find space and another deep cross was converted, young goalkeeper Ben Tooth getting caught out.

After the break, Robbins and Comvery played well on the wings. Tooth showed great resilience and maturity to bounce back to make some fine saves.

Three minutes from time, the ball spilt to man of the match Jake Murray, who struck an excellent half-volley from 23 yards out for the equaliser.

The points were shared in a well-fought match which ended with referee Dave Trevakus donating his fee to the Chris Corner fundraiser.

For a chance to win one of our top prizes to be drawn on December 23, visit

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists