Nailsea reach the Somerset Cup final

PUBLISHED: 15:01 20 April 2011




Nailsea United reach the Somerset Senior Cup final after a narrow 3-2 victory over Stockwood Green.

Stockwood Green 2

Nailsea United 3

NAILSEA United travelled to South Bristol to meet Stockwood Green in the semi-final of the Somerset Senior Cup.

The first few minutes saw no goal attempts but it was Nailsea that had the first scoring opportunity after 10 minutes when Alex Goodwin finished a good run by finding Ryan King whose powerful shot was beaten away by the Stockwood keeper.

It took a good save by Luke Davies to prevent Stockwood taken the lead on the quarter hour mark, although Stockwood found the back of the net from the same move it was ruled out for offside.

This let off saw Nailsea step up their game to take the lead after 25 minutes. A short free kick was taken by James Springett to Sam Long who found King on the goal line, his clever ball across the goal was met by James Taylor to score.

It was against the run of play when Stockwood equalised, but United regained the lead when from a long free kick by Ellis Willmot, King fastened onto the ball to outstrip the Stockwood defence and guide the ball pass the home.

Within a minute of the start of the second half a cross by Sam Long fell at the feet of Goodwin, who could not convert. Within minutes Matt Long won the ball with a strong challenge in midfield setting King away, his pass found Goodwin who scored from the edge of the penalty area.

Stockwood scored their second to cut the deficit to one goal in the 65th minute. Immediately Nailsea replaced Mike Wallington with Ben Cook quickly followed by Matt Vickers taking the place of Sam Long.

The Nailsea defence stood strong and at the final whistle, the Nailsea supporters were jubilant.

Clevedon United 0

Nailsea United 1

NAILSEA United travelled the short distance to Coleridge Vale to play Clevedon United in an evening fixture.

Nailsea dominated the game from the start with only the Clevedon keeper stopping them taking the lead after 15 minutes when he made a double save from efforts by Ryan King and Jim Lee.

The pressure exerted by the away side paid off after 23 minutes when following a free kick by Matt Long, the ball fell to Stuart Lee who made no mistake from close range.

Clevedon were limited to breakaways, during one such attack Luke Davies saved well at full stretch. On the half hour mark Nailsea youngster Alex Goodwin sent a brilliant pass to Matt Long. His ball into the centre was met by Ryan King who just failed to score.

With five minutes of the first half remaining, top scorer Jim Lee limped off to be replaced by Sam Long.

At the start of the second half the visitors again took the game to Clevedon and could have doubled their lead following a penetrating run by Long, which ended with his shot going just wide.

Nailsea chances came thick and fast with Stuart Lee firing across the goal and then heading just wide. An accurate cross by Mark Wallington met by Ryan King, but the Clevedon keeper saved at full stretch.

With only a slender lead Nailsea had to thank keeper Davies for ensuring they took three points with a fine save. In the final minute Callum Fisher replaced Mike Wallington in the Nailsea 

This game saw the Nailsea defence return to their best with central defenders Ellis Willmot and James Taylor outstanding. Special mention must also be made of Alex Goodwin.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times