Nailsea held to a goalless draw

PUBLISHED: 17:49 27 February 2018 | UPDATED: 17:49 27 February 2018




Nailsea United returned from South Bristol with a goalless draw against Stockwood Wanderers.

Stockwood Wanderers 0

Nailsea United 0

It was a trip to South Bristol for United on Saturday as they visited Stockwood Wanderers in a clash of mid-table sides.

United were kicking into the wind in the first-half with the home side dominating the early proceedings.

Nailsea gradually started to get into the game with Luke Pemberthy trying his luck on 34 minutes. Three minutes later a slick move saw Ross Probert cross for Luke Pemberthy to connect with a glancing header which evaded the keeper, but rebounded from the far post before being cleared.

With time in the first-half running out, Stockwood cut through the Nailsea defence forcing a good save from Owen Adamson. Immediately United responded with a well-taken free kick by Ben Pratt finding the head of Stuart Lee, but his effort was gathered by the keeper.

The home side were into their stride from the restart with Adamson palming away a well-struck shot inside the first minute. Soon after, Pemberthy’s shot flew wide of the target.

Both defences were able to contain their opponent’s attacks, so most of the play was in midfield. Lee had a long shot on goal on 67 minutes but saw the home keeper save at the near post and soon after Ross Prosser, who was returning after a hamstring injury was replaced by Tom Weaver.

Perhaps the best United chance came in the last minute when another well-placed free kick by Ben Pratt was headed on by Lee to Penberthy who cut in before unleashing a shot which was wide of the target.

This was perhaps a fitting scoreline for a match that was played in a bitingly cold wind with both sides looking to reach the sanctuary of a warm dressing room.

On Saturday, United travel to Worle in the quarter-finals of the Somerset Senior Cup, kick-off 2.30pm. Although Worle are a league below Nailsea, they are having a particularly strong season.

At The Grove, the Reserves entertain third-placed Chew Magna in a 3pm kick-off. Also at home are the A side who play Westend in a cup match with a 2.30pm start.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists