Nailsea fall short at Shirehampton

PUBLISHED: 14:32 22 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:32 22 February 2017

The school hopes to create a new pitch.

The school hopes to create a new pitch.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Nailsea United were beaten 2-0 by old foes Shirehampton, as both sides go through a rebuilding process.

Shirehampton 2

Nailsea United 0

A visit to old foes Shirehampton saw two sides who are both in a rebuilding mode as younger players find their feet at this level.

The home team had the best of the opening exchanges heading wide from a corner and then bringing a full-length save from Jack Smith.

On 23 minutes, Nailsea were dealt a blow when Smith was forced off through injury in a collision with a home player, which resulted in him being shown a yellow card. United reshuffled with Rob Brown donning the gloves and Zach Gaston joining the fray.

On the half-hour mark, Adam Bell worked his way to the goal line, but his cross could not be forced over the line. Five minutes later, substitute keeper Brown saved well and the first period ended goalless.

Nailsea opened strongly at the start of the second half with Matt Long going close and a shot from Ross Probert bounced from the crossbar to safety as United pressed.

With Nailsea on the attack, they paid the price by not marking Shirehampton dangerman Scott Bamford, who scored to give his side the lead.

Shirehampton scored their second goal with a spectacular shot from Bamford, which flew into the far corner, but soon after the home side were reduced to 10 men when Bamford was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Although Nailsea had more of the ball they could not fashion a scoring opportunity, the nearest they came was when Scott Fisher headed a James Springett free kick wide of the target.

While United matched the home side in most departments, they failed to make the home keeper work resulting in a disappointing result.

Tonight (Wednesday), United travel to Bridgwater for a midweek game, kick-off 7.45pm. On Saturday, they are on the road again with a visit to Chilcompton Sports (2.30pm). The next game at The Grove see the Reserves host Worle on Saturday (2.30pm).

Finally, congratulation to the B side who cemented their position at the top of the league with a fine 3-1 win away to St George (EIG). The Reserves also enjoyed their visit to Cheddar bringing home three points by the only goal of the match.

In the other match featuring the A side, they were beaten at home by top of the table Draycott.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times