Nailsea enjoy comfortable home victory over Wells

PUBLISHED: 11:20 21 February 2018 | UPDATED: 11:20 21 February 2018




Nailsea United enjoyed a comfortable home victory over basement side Wells City Reserves.

Nailsea United 5

Wells City Res 1

After two weeks of postponed fixtures, Nailsea were home to basement side Wells City Reserves.

The early minutes brought no goalmouth action, but that all changed in the 10th minute. A good move saw Wells forced to concede a corner which was swung in by Kin, where Joe Sharps met the ball firmly with his head to beat the keeper comprehensively to give his side the lead.

Nailsea continued to press, doubling their lead on the half-hour mark. A James Springett free kick was perfectly placed for Rob Brown to score with a diving header.

Five minutes later Kin fought well for the ball before crossing, but Adam Marsden was unable to find the target.

Two minutes later a combination between Luke Penberthy and Marsden saw the latter create space but shot wide of the post from a good position.

With five minutes to go to half-time Sharps put in a fine cross from the goal-line where Brown found the net with a header from close range for his second goal and his side’s third.

United were determined not to take their foot off the pedal as they took the game to Wells. Five minutes into the second half, Sharps won the ball before sending a low cross into the danger area where Marsden finished the move in style to make the score 4-0 to United.

On 58 minutes with United in a rampant mood, a first-time pass by Springett found Kin who chipped the ball over his defender to Penberthy who shot just wide.

On 65 minutes a quick break by Nailsea led by playmaker Springett found Tom Weaver and he kept his composure to slot the ball past the advancing Wells keeper for goal number five.

With three minutes remaining, a shot by Wells was going well wide when Rob Brown connected with his head to divert the ball into the net past the stranded Owen Adamson for a consolation goal to the visitors.

This was a fine team performance against a game, but outclassed Wells side. One must mention the performance of young Ryan Ford who had a fine game in the heart of the defence with the experienced Rob Brown and Lee Cook on hand to guide him through.

On Saturday, United travel to South Bristol where they meet Stockwood Wanderers no doubt in a confident mood after today’s performance. Kick-off 2.30pm.

Congratulations to the Reserves for a gritty win at Cheddar. The A side overcame local rivals AFC Nailsea 4-2 in a cup match.

The B side scored six goals to go through to the next round of the cup against Kewstoke Lions. Finally, the young Colts side lost at home to high-riding Lodway.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times