Nailsea crash out of the county cup

PUBLISHED: 10:48 21 March 2018 | UPDATED: 10:48 21 March 2018

Picture: Terry Ife

Picture: Terry Ife


Nailsea United crashed out of the Somerset County Cup, defeated at the quarter-final stage by Worle.

Worle 2

Nailsea United 1

After two postponements due to the weather Nailsea finally got underway with the quarter-final of the Somerset Senior Cup fixture away against Worle.

Although the home side are in the division below Nailsea, they have only lost twice this season.

United kicked off with the wind slightly behind them and took the game immediately to the home side. On eight minutes a cross found Sam Olsen unmarked, but on this occasion he could find the target.

However, he only had to wait a further seven minutes to get his name on the scoresheet. A long free kick by Rob Brown was won in the air by Stuart Lee who guided the ball back to Olsen, who this time made no mistake in firing past the Worle keeper.

Worle began to show why they are having such a good season mounting several attacks which tested Owen Adamson to which he was equal. On 35 minutes a quick break saw Luke Penberthy feed Ben Pratt but his shot was gathered by the keeper.

With the elements in the home side’s favour in the second half, the Nailsea faithful were wondering if the single goal scored would be enough at the end of 90 minutes.

Worle showed their intentions from the restart with an attack that ended with an off target shot. On 50 minutes a clever free kick by Rob Brown saw Luke Penberthy run towards the home goal, but he pulled his shot across the goal.

On 58 minutes the Worle pressure was rewarded when a cross was slid home from close range for the equaliser. United made two substitutions within 10 minutes with Olsen and Ross Probert being replaced by Adam Marsden and Kin respectively as they tried to get a hold on the game.

The home side now had the momentum and took the lead on 71 minutes with a shot that eluded Adamson to find the back of the net. With the last throw of the dice Ben Pratt was replaced by Louis Parnham.

Nailsea were restricted to dead ball situations as they sought the equaliser, but the home defence stood strong before the official brought the game to a close.

On Saturday, United are at home to Middlezoy Rovers looking to reverse the defeat by a single goal at Middlezoy earlier on in the season. Kick-off 3pm.

Finally at least one Nailsea side progressed into the next round of the cup with the A side defeating Westend 4-3in the League Knockout Cup.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists