Mixed results for Clevedon Town

PUBLISHED: 15:00 11 February 2015 | UPDATED: 15:00 11 February 2015

Lewis Hedges and Kye Mountford.

Lewis Hedges and Kye Mountford.


Clevedon Town had mixed results, with an excellent victory at Yate Town, but then slipping at home to Sholing.



AFTER the great result at Yate in midweek, big things were expected of the team against Sholing, who were only one point and one place above them in the table.

Unfortunately, the team could not reproduce the form and they paid the price by going down 1-0. with an own goal from Kye Thomas.

The game was pretty even throughout with both sides creating and squandering chances until the 37th minute, when Barry Mason, the thorn in Clevedon’s side all afternoon, crossed the ball in to the box and Kye Thomas, in trying to clear, only succeeded in putting the ball into his own net.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with chances being created by both sides. On 70 minutes, a corner from Mason found Alex Sawyer unmarked on the far post, but his goalbound effort was cleared off the line by Jamie Adams.

With time running out and three substitutions made, Clevedon started to put things together and a cross from Aron Robbins was flicked goalwards by Conor O’Sullivan, but rebounded from the post. Kye Mountford following up, hit a first-time shot that Matt Brown in the visitors’ goal managed to tip round the post.

In time added on, Jamie Adams saw his shot hit the bar just before the whistle to end the drama. The only good thing from Town’s point of view was no cautions again.

Clevedon Town: K Mannings, K Thomas, A Robbins, K Gazzard, J Adams, K Mountford (c), L McCaughey (C O’Sullivan 83), J Swift, L Hedges (R Lee 36), B Bament, T Parker (T Budd 80).



THIS was the third meeting between the teams this season, with Yate winning twice, but on this occasion, Clevedon were the victors.

Clevedon came out fighting right from the start, but it was the hosts who almost drew first blood when a fierce shot from Jordan Rogers rebounded from the post.

The visitors continued to press forward and on 18 minutes, after three or four shots had been blocked by the home defence, the ball fell to Kye Mountford, who hit a first-time volley that flew in to the back of the net from the edge of the area.

Ben Bament, Omari Sims, Lewis Hedges and Joe Swift all had good chances on goal, but the half ended with no further change in the score line.

The second half was more of the same with chances being created, Yate hitting the wood work again and Clevedon drawing good saves and clearances from the home defence.

The only real chance of the half came in the last 15 minutes when ex-Clevedon player Nuno Felix sent in a shot that curved past Kane Mannings, but also curved just the wrong side of the upright.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times