Lucas nets his seventh goal in the last seven games

PUBLISHED: 09:30 17 January 2018

Liam Dempsey.

Liam Dempsey.


Clevedon Town striker Lucas Vowles scored his seventh goal in the last seven games to help his team to a 2-0 victory over Bridport.

Clevedon Town 2

Bridport 0

Clevedon Town welcomed Bridport to The Everyone Active Stadium and deservedly ran out 2-0 winners, although they made the home supporters wait until virtually the last kick of the game to make the game safe with their second goal.

Clevedon were the quickest to show and could have gone ahead on five minutes. Liam Dempsey collected the ball and ran into the box before seeing his attempted cross blocked with the rebound falling to Morgan Williams six yards out, but he was unable to hit the target.

Clevedon took the lead on 12 minutes with an excellently taken goal from their young striker Lucas Vowles who scored his seventh goal in the last seven games during which time the team have been unbeaten with three wins and four draws.

Glen Hayer played the ball forward and Vowles managed to outmuscle and outpace Bridport’s Andrew Martin before drilling the ball past the advancing Jason Hutchings and into the corner of the net.

Clevedon could have doubled their lead in the 14th minute when Alex Russell’s free-kick was cleared back out to the Clevedon man and his ball to the far post was inches away from connecting with Hayer’s head.

Clevedon went close through Russell, Dempsey and Morgan Williams as the teams went into the break with the home side having the advantage.

Clevedon came out for the second half looking to turn their dominance into goals and created another chance on 52 minutes when Russell set up Fortune, who could only shoot wide.

Bridport created an opportunity of their own when Richard Hebditch crossed for skipper Mark Salter, who got the ball stuck between his feet and the chance was wasted.

Bridport’s attempts to get back on level terms were hindered on 68 minutes when they were reduced to 10 men. As Lucas Vowles broke down the right he was tripped by Breaden Symes and having already been booked the referee produced a red card.

Clevedon created another good chance in the 71st minute when Tyler Ashmead played the ball down the right to Lucas Vowles who cut inside and crossed the ball to Clayton Fortune whose miss-hit shot went wide.

An almost identical move 2 minutes later saw Tyler Ashmead fed Vowles and this time he crossed to the far post where Fortune shot back across goal and the ball rebounded off the base of the post.

Clevedon had to be grateful to Damien Freeman when Tom Richardson played in substitute Declan Cornish, whose shot saw the keeper pull off a great save.

In the 82nd minute, Freeman produced an even better save when Mark Salter, six yards out, saw the keeper produce a point-blank save to keep the visitors out.

Clevedon finally made the game safe in the second minute of stoppage time. Russell played the ball to Vowles who crossed to the far post where Ashmead forced the ball over the line.

Clevedon are next in action on Saturday when they visit Cadbury Heath with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: D Freeman, S Simpson, L Dempsey, C Kingdon, G Hayer, C Fortune (c), A Russell, K Carmargo (M Williams 90), L Vowles, M Williams (R Gissing 89), T Ashmead.

Clevedon Town men of the match were Callum Kingdon and Damien Freeman.

Report and photos courtesy of

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times