Late goal denies Nailsea Town all three points

PUBLISHED: 11:07 10 January 2018 | UPDATED: 11:07 10 January 2018




A goal three minutes from time, denied Nailsea United all three points against visitors Ilminster Town.

Nailsea United 2

Ilminster Town 2

Nailsea United entertained Ilminster Town, although the pitch was perfectly playable it was obvious that any short passes could cause either team a problem.

United had the early play and took the lead on five minutes. Ross Probert brought the ball out of the defence before playing a perfectly weighted pass taking out two visiting defenders to find Adam Marsden, who in turn played an accurate ball into the middle where Sam Olsen made no mistake to slot the ball home.

The visitors then began to assert themselves with centre back Lee Cook making a timely tackle as the Ilminster forward prepared to strike. Immediately Nailsea retaliated when good closing down by Olsen gave him the opportunity to slip the ball to Luke Penberthy who surged forward before releasing a shot which beat the Ilminster keeper just inside the far post to double his side’s lead.

Ilminster began a period of sustained pressure as they tried to get into the game. This was rewarded on 34 minutes when the referee adjudged a Nailsea defender to foul inside the area. The resultant penalty was duly converted, although keeper Owen Adamson dived the right way.

Two minutes into the second half Olsen had a half-chance but his effort was saved easily. With 70 minutes on the clock, Ben Pratt tried his luck following a corner but his shot was wide.

It was then the turn of Penberthy who fastened onto a long clearance but fired wide. Ilminster then began to look the more dangerous side with United taking off Joe Sharps to be replaced by the more experienced Liam Lester to repel the visitors’ attacks.

A good move with an exchange of passes between Probert and Penberthy cut open the Ilminster defence, but the latter just failed to make contact with the final pass from Probert.

With four minutes remaining Nailsea were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal. Although Rob Brown made good contact the low shot went the wrong side of the post.

Finally, the Ilminster pressure was rewarded when they scored the equaliser three minutes from time when the United defence failed to clear the ball.

Although United were disappointed to let a two-goal lead go this was probably a fair result as the visitors had the better of the second half. Nailsea remain in seventh place in the league following a run of undefeated matches.

On Saturday, the first team are without a fixture. The Reserves are at home to Tunley Athletic with a 2pm start.

Congratulations to the B side as they go back to the top of the league with a 3-0 win over Kewstoke Lions. The B side are home On Saturday, hosting Shipham in a 2pm kick-off.

A word of praise also for the young Colts side who picked up a point away to Clevedon United A in sharing six goals.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times