Keeper keeps the champions at bay

PUBLISHED: 15:30 04 February 2015 | UPDATED: 15:30 04 February 2015

A fine display by Portishead Under-11s keeper Harri Battista kept the score down against champions Clevedon United.

CHAMPIONS Clevedon United visited Portishead Juniors Under-11s and dominated the first-half, leading 1-0 at the break,

Juniors’ keeper and man of the match Harri Battista made three superb saves to ensure his side stayed in the game. He could do nothing following a fine finish by United’s striker Max as the visitors went into the break a goal to the good.

Juniors improved in the second half, but could not create a meaningful chance with Jake Foxon having their only shot on goal in the entire match.

The defenders shone, with Charlie Chichester, Jacob Weekes and Daniel McCorquodale the pick of the bunch. A bad day at the office for Juniors, but a well-deserved victory for United.

IN THEIR second game of the New Year, Nailsea Athletic Under-11s continued to find the going hard.

Following last week’s cup exit against Long Ashton, this encounter with second-placed Swiss Valley saw Nailsea looking ring-rusty.

Keeper Luis Bohin made a fine save early on, but Swiss Valley soon took the lead. Nailsea equalised after some good play, when Harvey Coates took the ball forward and his cross was finished off by Oli.

The second half opened with Swiss Valley back on the front foot, despite some good play captain Charlie Sell and Tijane Diallo. As the half wore on, Nailsea dropped deeper and the pressure eventually told with Swiss Valley regaining the lead.

The home team’s third goal came with a couple of minutes remaining and they were not flattered by the final 3-1 scoreline.

United Under-11s could not get into their passing game on a cold raw Saturday morning.

With Hutton biting into every tackle, it was no surprise that Hutton took an early lead when their lively centre forward hit a fierce shot past stand-in Nailsea goalkeeper Seb Allan.

Nailsea started to slowly string their passes together and from a corner by Freddie King, Oliver Brown caused problems and the ball fell to Elliot Moore, who lashed the ball past the Hutton keeper.

Nailsea played against the wind and slope in the second half and had numerous chances to score, but could not find the back of the net.

They finally made the breakthrough with a swift counter attack involving Harry Watters, Thomas Kemble, James Warren and Charlie Parsons, found Moore in a one on one with the exposed Hutton keeper and the ball nestled in the net.

Nailsea had chances to increase their lead, skipper Joe Eyles broke from defence and ran half the length of the pitch but the ball broke away on the surface and the chance was lost and Ben Hodges saw a shot graze the post.

Special mention to the referee Adam Marsdon, who was excellent throughout.

CLEVEDON United Under-11s narrowly defeated neighbours Portishead 1-0 in an entertain game.

The majority of the first-half saw United on the attack with the midfield of Sol Hamblin, Sam Dawson, Reilly Civil-Holt and Joe Haskins stretching the play and keeping the ball moving. Max Horton’s early effort was pushed around the post by the Juniors’ keeper.

Midway through the half, Clevedon deservedly took the lead, Horton chipping the advancing keeper. There soon followed the move of the match, with United’s Luke Pitts’ measured cross saw Sam Dawson’s fine header again superbly saved.

The introduction of their second half substitutes Alex Holmes, Jake Brand and Josh Morgan saw Clevedon continue to press Portishead.

United’s back three of Louie Woodland, Ed Burdge and Luke Pitts gave another great defensive display, limiting Juniors to a few half chances, but not troubling Lucas Selway in United’s goal.

It would be difficult and unfair to pick out any one Clevedon individual for a man of the match honour, but special mention must be given to Juniors’ Harri Battista with the gloves, who had an outstanding game.

SWISS Valley Rangers Under-15s continued their recent good form with a convincing 8-1 victory over Winscombe.

Stanley Livingstone opened the scoring for the visitors from the penalty spot before Winscombe equalised. Ronan O’Duffy struck a fine free-kick to make it 2-1 before half-time.

Rangers dominated after the break and Max Petty scored with a powerful shot before an own goal made it 4-1. Livingstone struck twice more to complete his hat-trick, before O’Duffy and Tom Bryant completed the scoring when they broke past the Winscombe defence and finished well.

Man of the match went to Taylor Sims.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times