Jacob nets the winning goal for Nailsea

PUBLISHED: 14:56 27 November 2013 | UPDATED: 14:56 27 November 2013

Nailsea Under-10s Jacob Hole netted the only goal to defeat Clevedon in a cup tie.

IN this pulsating cup tie against Clevedon, Nailsea United Under-10s had the first of the chances when Thomas Kemble blazed over from a good position.

Soon after, Elliott Moore had a shot cleared off the line. At the other end, Clevedon pierced the Nailsea defence, but keeper Charlie Sell was in superb form.

Meanwhile, Nailsea were carving chances of their own with Joe Eyles making the Clevedon goalkeeper pull off a flying save and Charlie Parsons hit the post.

The second half saw Nailsea turn the screw and with Jacob Hole hitting the Clevedon post and with the Nailsea defence duo of Craig Bessant and Joe Eyles dealing with the sporadic attacks from Clevedon, Nailsea dominated with Freddie King causing problems.

Nailsea took the lead when Eyles lofted a free kick into the Clevedon area and Moore’s shot was superbly parried by the impressive Clevedon keeper, but the ball fell at Hole, who smashed it into the net for the only goal of the game.

In this friendly played after the main match, it was just as close as the first. Clevedon scored in the first-half from an excellent passing move giving stand-in keeper Hole no chance.

In the second half it was James Warren who ignited Nailsea’s comeback. First he wriggled away from two Clevedon defenders and squeezed the ball past the Clevedon keeper and then in the closing minutes he scored from a pass from Harry Watters.

Great defence displays from Harry Kenny and Oliver Brown with Seb Allan making some penetrating runs up front and linking well with Ben Hodges and Lewis Thatcher.

Nailsea Athletic Under-14s went a goal down against Burnbridge, but responded by playing attractive football.

Max Thomas displayed his passing ability and combined well with Liam MacGregor in midfield, while Jack Linzell gave another commanding performance. Travis Rhodes timed his tackles well and Dan Bond also made some important challenges.

Declan Hay was imposing in goal and his kick allowed Sam Himsworth to exploit the space and cross the ball to Tom Limbrick, who levelled the scores.

Nailsea won a corner soon after the restart and man of the match Lucas Oates jinked his way past the defence to make it 2-1. Himsworth extended the lead to 3-1, but Burnbridge pulled a goal back, but Nailsea held out to claim a 3-2 win.

CLEVEDON United Youth Under-11s had to work hard for this victory against a stubborn Hutton side.

The first-half was dominated by Clevedon and were unfortunate to go in at the break with the score 0-0. Joe Newton, Jamie Pass and Tyler Leaman all had good attempts and were unlucky not to score.

The second half saw Clevedon continue to play some good football and their persistence paid off when Newton broke the deadlock and then quickly added a second.

Ciaran Clarke and Wilf James pulled the strings, while man of the match Ben Holt along with Alex Davies marshalled the defence superbly. Newton completed his hat-trick with a neat finish, but the whole team can be proud of their display.

Clevedon United Youth Under-12s had a couple of chances against Portishead Town Youth, some great saves from Savio Johnson and excellent defensive line work from Luke Foster.

Owen Wood received man of the match for his consistent effort throughout the match, but Clevedon lost 4-0.

The Under-12s took control of the game against Berrow from the start with Sam Lewis scoring two goals within the first 10 minutes.

Will Jones took two excellent corners but goals were not forthcoming, but following a free kick taken by Lewis, Jones netted to make the score 3-0 at half-time.

Berrow came back fighting, but Clevedon were too strong and Connor Thie in goal was solid. Lewis scored again and Owen Vowles scored from a free kick to make the final score 5-1. Joe Pass was man of the match.

The Under-14s return to league action after more than a month was welcome. With just a little more time on the ball, it was good to see the boys growing in confidence.

Two nil up at half-time they looked to be in control, but Weston had other ideas and after conceding one more, replied with two of their own and nearly went level bar a great save from keeper James Williams.

Clevedon started piling on the pressure, Dominic Kern and Dan Hern finished the game with two goals apiece, with Eddie Davis and Harvey Wintle scoring one each as Clevedon ran out 6-2 winners.

Man the match went to Thom Clark.

The Under-15s kept their 100 per cent record with a good display away at Kewstoke. With several key players missing through long term injuries, the team set about their task.

Clevedon opened the scoring with a fine passing move involving 18 passes, finished off by Lewis McLean. The second followed soon after with McLean again finishing off a one-two with Sam Cooper.

In the second half, McLean completed his hat-trick with a fine finish, curling from 25 yards into the top corner. Mitch Probert scored a fine individual goal and Cameron Jenkins headed home to make it 5-0, before Tom Adams pulled one back late on.

The Kewstoke keeper had a fine game and it could have been double figures if it wasn’t for him. Best wishes go to Ryan Gissing and Elliot Nicholson for a speedy recovery from a broken ankle and broken leg.

Man of the match was Dan Howard.

SWISS Valley Rangers Under-14s defeated Uphill Castle 8-4 in an entertaining friendly match.

Rangers started quickly and scored twice in the first five minutes with goals from Jake Davis and Ronan O’Duffy. The visitors reduced the deficit, but clinical finishes from Jordan Pooley and Max Petty made it 4-1 to Rangers and another goal from Castle made it 4-2 at half-time.

Tom Bryant finished a good team move to make it 5-2, but Castle scored again to keep the gap to two goals. Oscar Arnel scored a brilliant individual goal to make it 6-3 only for Castle to score again.

Pooley and Davis scored their second goals apiece towards the end of the game to finish the scoring and give the home team a four goal winning margin.

Man of the match for Swiss Valley Rangers was Ben Pawlowski.

A solid performance at home to Wedmore, saw Valley Under-15s secure all the points.

Two goals up at the break, following a fine strike from James Teteris and a Tom Henley header on the end of a Brad Munday corner, the home side added two further goals through Lewis Torrington.

Man of the match Jack Bowen, defended well, while Henley rounded off the win with a further accomplished strike.

Injury-hit Under-13s were reduced to playing with 10, but their back line of Evan Clarke, Adam Major, player of game Charlie Last and holding midfielder James Perry, were an effective platform.

Sam Cocker opened the scoring, and was provider for the second by Folade Tinubu. Tom Hayden, with three second half strikes, regained Valley’s league top scorer spot, but his efforts were trumped in the game by stand out attacker Max Tryfonos with four.

Worle competed gamely throughout and heroic defending and an athletic performance by their goalie reduced Swiss Valley’s dominance to a single figure win.

PORTISHEAD Town Youth Under-12s had their best game of the seaso, winning 4-0 against Clevedon.

Tom Russell scored in the first minute from an overhead kick from Charlie Mott, who followed it up with a hat-trick with some fine through balls from Ben Edwards and Abbos Ruziev.

Nick Membury and Jacob Faulkner were solid in defence and pushed forward at every opportunity. Olly Boyce had a great game on the left wing, but man of the match was Sam Challenger.

The Under-12s lose 6-1 to Weston Town, despite being only 2-0 down at the break.

Portishead pulled one back just after half-time with a great run and through ball from Kieran Monks, who set up Charlie Mott to score.

Portishead gave away a penalty and after that, it was all Weston who were just too strong and physical for Portishead. The best player for Portishead was keeper Chris Sharman who was outstanding.

The Under-13s were first to find their feet on a heavy pitch at Gordano. Debutant Max Williams was first to find the net for Portishead with a good run and finish.

Portishead’s wide players were on form, first Matty Twiggs beat his man and delivered an inch perfect cross for Williams to grab his second. Jay Murray finished well after an excellent through ball by Dylan Hebblethwaite to make it three.

After the break, persistence by Charlie Preston on the right ended with his centre being converted by Hebblethwaite to register a fourth. Bradley Stoke struck back with an excellent shot from distance.

An excellent team performance by Portishead, some outstanding goalkeeping from Kieran Noble and resolute defending feeding a tireless midfield, ensured Portishead came away with all three points.

BACKWELL Athletic Under-11s started the first-half strongly and created a few chances with their good passing and movement.

Against the run of play, Portishead took the lead and then started to play some good football themselves.

Playing downhill in the second half, Backwell dominated play but were unable to find a goal until a mistake from a goal kick presented Jack Hambleton with a chance to level the score which he tucked away.

Backwell pushed for a winner and Thomas Sandy thought he had scored it only for it to be ruled offside. In the end, Backwell had to settle for a point and the whole team were made man of the match for their hard work.

YATTON Under-14s hosted Weston Crusaders in the second round of the Somerset Lewin Cup.

Previous meetings between these two teams have always produced some competitive matches and this was no exception.

Lucas Mortimer opened the scoring from a quality Scott Shephard corner, only to see the visitors pull level two minutes later.

A second half penalty gave Crusaders the lead, but Yatton responded almost immediately when a free kick by George Frost was headed in by Ben Bushell.

Both teams fought hard for an advantage, but it took an other free kick, this time for Crusaders before the deadlock was broken and Weston took the lead again.

Three minutes before the final whistle Yatton replied with a repeat of Frost’s earlier free kick, this time converted by Shephard to send the match into extra time.

Twenty minutes of end-to-end football followed, but neither teams could find the net so the game was decided on penalties.

Yatton’s Will Cattermole, Elliott Shipway, Bushell and Mortimer all found the net and thanks to a great save from keeper Chandler Kowolskie, Yatton won the tie 7-6.

A special mention has to go to defender Tom Keating who was hugely instrumental in limiting the Weston attack.

The Under-13s visited Priory Pumas and took an early lead when creative play from midfielder Will Mann found the back of the Priory net.

The home team pulled one back, but a through ball from Mann found Archie Anderson who crossed for Cameron Harding to retake the lead.

The second half saw both teams creating chances, but it took 20 minutes before Anderson set up Woody O’Reagan and Yatton went 3-1 up.

Moments later a goalmouth scramble at the other end of the pitch saw Priory score and minutes before the final whistle they drew level and both teams went home with a point each.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times