Injury time goal knocks Clevedon Town out of the cup

PUBLISHED: 10:59 22 November 2017 | UPDATED: 10:59 22 November 2017

Tyler Ashmead.

Tyler Ashmead.


Clevedon Town crash out of the Les Phillips Cup to Cribbs thanks to a 93rd minute goal by the hosts.

Cribbs 2

Clevedon Town 1

Clevedon Town travelled to The Lawns to take on Cribbs in the first round of the Les Phillips Cup and lost 2-1 with the winning goal scored in the third minute of stoppage time.

Clevedon had the better of the early exchanges without being able to pressure home keeper Dave Hill. At the other end, Clevedon had to be grateful to keeper Damian Freeman for preventing Cribbs from taking the lead in the 12th minute.

The home side went close again on 19 minutes when a run by former Seasider Lewis Hedges saw the ball slipped through for Liam Clayton, whose shot was smothered by the advancing Freeman.

Fortune went close on several occasions but could not find the target as the first half ended goalless.

After the break, Liam Dempsey fed Alex Russell who played the ball to Daine O’Connor on the edge of the box and his shot was deflected for a corner which came to nothing.

Daine O’Connor and Liam Dempsey both went close before Cribbs took the lead in the 58th minute. Jack McKenna played the ball through for Jake Slocombe to slip the ball past the advancing Freeman.

The visitors did not have to wait long and were back on level terms on 66 minutes. Danny Wring played a crossfield ball to man of the match Tyler Ashmead on the right who put a great cross into the box that was smashed home by O’Connor to make the score 1-1.

A minute later and Clevedon almost took the lead when the ball was played into Fortune, but his shot was blocked to keep the scores level.

Dempsey had a couple of efforts blocked and in the last minute of normal time Sekani Simpson played the ball forward for substitute Isaac Reid to turn his man and see his shot pushed wide.

Just when it appeared that the tie was heading into extra-time, the home team won it in the third minute of stoppage. The ball was played to Slocombe who crossed for Dan Dyke to shoot home and make the final score 2-1.

Clevedon are next in action tonight when Wellington are the visitors to The Everyone Active Stadium with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: D Freeman, S Simpson, L Dempsey, T Baker, T Ashmead, C Fortune (c), A Russell, C Kingdon, D O’Connor, K Ingram, D Wring (I Reid 73).

Report and photos courtesy of

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times