Hayden double sinks Churchill

PUBLISHED: 14:40 18 January 2012




Swiss Valley Rangers Under-12s enjoyed a comfortable 4-1 win over Churchill.

SWISS Valley Rangers Under-12s started strongly and took the lead through an excellent Tom Hayden run and finish.

Churchill equalised soon after, but a goal apiece for Jake Davis and Hayden made the half-time score 3-1.

There were plenty of chances in the second half, but the only goal came from James Appleby to make the final score 4-1. Man of the match was Tom Godfrey.

After a slow start away to Wedmore, Valley Under-13s found themselves two goals down after 20 minutes.

Striker Tom Henley bagged one in response shortly before the break and Lewis Torrington netted a leveller shortly after.

Wedmore quickly responded with a third before an in-form Tom Henley fired an equaliser, ensuring that honours were even. A fine goalkeeping display earned Liam Moore the man of the match award.

CLEVEDON United Panthers Under-10s opened the scoring after two minutes against Axbridge Saxons.

It was a great goal from Will Jones and then Jones went on to score a second. Axbridge made a great reply with a goal from distance, but Clevedon’s Sam Lewis went on to score a further two goals.

Harry John hit the post and had several near shots on goal and then Ewan Linnett set John up to make the score 5-2. There was strong defence by Nathan Turner, who was named man of the match.

After more than a month without a game, the Under-12s began a little sluggish and Priory took the lead with a 20 yard strike after six minutes.

Despite making many chances, nothing was converted until Joe Baker was brought down in the box for a penalty which Dan Hearn tucked away.

In the second half, Priory again took an early lead before Clevedon piled on the pressure. Some great performances from Dougal Stagg, Thomas Clarke and Joe Turner helped Baker equalise and earn the man of the match award.

PORTISHEAD Under-15s, in their first game of the New Year, saw off Berrow Juniors in the quarter-final of the cup.

Goals from Brown (2), Parsons, Sweeting and Davis completed the win in a fine display on a sticky pitch.

Last and Jacobs shared the keeping duties both looking assured. The defence of Taylor, Jacobs, Last, Probert and Shaddick looked composed and built from the back. Rich and Sweeting worked tirelessly in midfield with Mason, Davis and Parsons giving Juniors’ the width. Brown and Egan never stopped working, putting pressure on the Berrow back four.

A spectators dream and a manager’s nightmare. This partly summed up a well-contested and exciting match between the Under-13s and Weston Crusaders, neither of whom deserved to lose.

It seemed highly unlikely at half-time when it was scoreless that the game would eventually witness eight goals.

Portishead shone in the early stages, with David Warnes and man of the match Luke Osgood always threatening.

Weston were quick to counter and only smart goalkeeping from Will Bennett kept the score level. Tyler Ashmead was brought down in the box but Portishead failed to take advantage.

Crusaders took the lead with a scrappy goal, but Portishead equalised with a similarly scrappy goal. Crusaders again took the lead and were awarded another penalty, but Bennett saved well.

Portishead forced their way back and produced another equaliser with another scrappy goal which was claimed by everyone in the team. There was little doubt about the next strike when Ashmead thumped home from a tight angle and when Joe Hance tapped in the fourth, Portishead supporters finally looked relieved.

Crusaders pulled another goal back to continue the see-saw second half. The fifth and final goal was a well-deserved effort from Jared Ford.

IN their first game for six weeks, Yatton Athletic Under-12s played host to Cheddar Valley.

Yatton scored first with a brilliant strike from Lucas Mortimer following a brilliant through ball from Sam Starr. Although Yatton produced several more chances in the first half, they were unable to break down a determined Cheddar defence.

Cheddar had the run of play after the break and brought the scores level, but Yatton dug deep in the final 10 minutes and good link-up play from Ben Dixon and Angus Mason led to a second from Mortimer.

Minutes from the final whistle, helped by Tom Keating, Mortimer claimed his hat-trick and Yatton’s man of the match award.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times