Giants fade at the end

PUBLISHED: 14:11 30 November 2011

JUNIOR SOCCER  :  Milton Nomads  U12 V  Portishead Town.

JUNIOR SOCCER : Milton Nomads U12 V Portishead Town.


Gordano Valley Giants Under-11s lose 6-4 to Wedmore with 10 men, despite leading at half-time.

ALTHOUGH having only 10 men, Gordano Valley Giants Under-11s took the match to Isle of Wedmore with some fantastic possession, gaining them most of the play in the first half.

Sid Viney took the first goal with a cracking shot on target just outside the box. Giants continued to pressure and the ball fell to Jonny Cocks who smashed the ball into the top of the net.

Viney then ran and chased the ball from the halfway line to score the third goal. Wedmore replied with two goals, when Folade broke away to make the score 4-2 at half-time.

After the break, Gordano gave their best, but due to having 10 men, the tiredness started to show, with Wedmore making the breaks and going on to win 6-4. Man of the match was Sidney Viney.

SWISS Valley Rangers Under-12s started strongly against Gordano Valley Giants and took an early lead with two goals from James Appleby.

Further goals from Tom Hayden, Tom Oliver and Jake Davis gave the home side a 5-0 half-time lead.

Second half goals from Stanley Livingstone (2), Jake Davis and Oscar Arnel completed the scoring against a hard-working Giants side.

The Under-11s squandered a 3-0 lead to lose 5-4 to neighbours Clevedon United Youth.

In the first half, Rangers scored three times against the run of play through Callum Pauline (2) and Sam Cocker. Things went downhill as Rangers conceded a penalty just before half-time and conceded two goals as the game resumed through self-inflicted defensive lapses.

A great through ball from Dan Harrison gave Callum his hat-trick and SVR a 4-3 lead, but it was short-lived. Clevedon responded straightaway to equalise and then took a deserved and winning lead with a lovely chipped goal.

NAILSEA Athletic Under-13s edged a thrilling 13-goal bonanza against Worle.

Athletic’s early pressure was converted into a lead through an own goal, but Worle fought back and, despite further goals from Athletic’s Liam Strawford and Tom Penny, the away team deservedly led 4-3 at the break.

The excitement continued after the restart with Worle scoring two further goals from a multitude of chances. However, they were shocked by the fightback from Athletic who played some fluent attacking football to take the lead with a brace of goals from Oliver Cattermole, a clinical finish from Ben Roach and a second from Strawford.

Nailsea were grateful to some determined defence from Christian Knight, Alex Williams, Jack Penny and Oliver Bagnall for finally holding onto the win.

Nailsea Athletic Under-11s dominated the early possession but fell behind after 10 minutes against the run of play. Nailsea continued to battle hard, but chances were few and far between for both sides up to half-time.

In the second half, Backwell turned the screw and their persistence paid off with a second goal from a free kick in the last minute of the game.

Yorkie man of the match went to keeper Joel Wilkins and the player of the match was Reece Convery.

United Under-12s kept their winning streak in the league intact with a hard-fought 3-0 win on a heavy pitch against Winscombe.

Man of the match George Sheehan played with composure in midfield and ensured the visitors enjoyed plenty of possession.

Two goals from Joe Collins and a third from Joe Sharps wrapped up the points.

The Under-11s put on a fine display of passing football and good team work to dominate this match against Axbridge Saxons from the start to maintain their unbeaten run and hold onto their top of the division place.

There were four goals from Nat Pinkney, two for Ben Jeffrey, two for Tom Meakin, who was the man of the match. There was good work from James Harris plus a goal each for Harrison Clothier, Finlay Williams, Jordan Freear and Ben Cowman.

Ben Tooth played in an unfamiliar role alongside Ted Turner and Joel Cranton ensuring a clean sheet. Will Hodges was credited with muddiest of the match due to his flying headers and sliding tackles.

YATTON Under-12s travelled to Cheddar and found themselves behind within five minutes following an excellent Cheddar move.

Yatton quickly replied with a goal from Lucas Mortimer and with the help of Sam Starr and Scott Shephard, Mortimer added another two before half-time.

The second half saw good attacking football from both sides and Yatton’s keeper, Chandler Kowolskie, pulled off a couple of fantastic saves to keep Yatton ahead. Cheddar pushed hard and finally broke through the Yatton defence to get their second, but Yatton held out to secure three points.

CLEVEDON United Under-10s conceded an early goal against Milton Nomads, putting them on the defensive.

Nathan Turner and Oli Burns defended well, but by the end of the first-half, despite excellent play by Harry Johns and Ewan Linnet, the score was 3-0.

The second half was fast paced and Clevedon managed to get one back with a great goal from Sam Lewis. Milton also scored again making the final score 4 -1. Joe Wynne was awarded the man of the match award.

A DEPLETED Portishead Under-15s side travelled to Hutton with the bare 11 players and recorded a 3-0 victory.

Hutton were in a determined mood, but met their match in a Portishead team who, despite several players playing out of position, had too much quality. Goals came from Bailey Egan, Tim Brown and Billy Sweeting sealed the win.

The keeping duties were shared by Sam Pinder and Taylor Davis, Kyle Egan impressed in the middle alongside Sweeting, Mason and Probert. The defence of Jacobs, Taylor and Shaddick looked confident and dealt with the long ball game of Hutton without too much trouble.

With 20 minutes to go, this cup tie was in the balance as Portishead Under-13s first-half advantage from a Luke Osgood strike had been wiped out, despite a fine effort from keeper Will Bennett, to keep them out.

The rest of the match was quite bizarre as the visitors hit six more goals to run out comfortable winners.

In the first half, James Robinson, David Warnes and Callum Jones were strong at the back preventing Kewstoke from creating any clear cut openings. A long clearance midway through the half was pounced on by Osgood who to put his side in front.

Kewstoke proved more of a handful in the second half and stared to create chances. A swift break resulted in a clinical finish. Moving into the final quarter, Jamie Whitfield moved up front and scored no less than five times, each with a fine finish to completely turn the match on its head.

The damage was caused by simple balls over the top of the tiring Kewstoke defence, notably from Osgood, for the energetic 
Whitfield to stamp his mark on the tie. In between Whitfield’s goals, Eliot Parsons finished in fine style to keep up his recent good form.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times