Clevedon Town knocked out of the FA VAse

PUBLISHED: 12:21 19 September 2018

Connor Sidley-Adams.

Connor Sidley-Adams.


Clevedon Town were narrowly knocked out of the FA Vase away at Falmouth Town.

Falmouth Town 2

Clevedon Town 1

Clevedon Town travelled to Bickland Park to take on South West Peninsular League Falmouth Town and despite taking the lead in the first half, conceded two goals after the break to exit the FA Vase for this season.

Clevedon created their first chance on five minutes when man of the match Tyler Ashmead’s run down the right saw the ball crossed into Archie Ferris who laid it back for Jack Sell’s shot to be deflected over the bar.

In the 16th minute, Elliott Nicholson crossed for Jack Sell’s shot to be blocked and after a scramble in the box the ball fell to Lucas Vowles whose header was comfortably held by keeper Ryan Barnes.

Falmouth always looked dangerous on the break and on 20 minutes a long ball from the back saw Jordan Annear’s attempted lob went over the head of Clevedon keeper Connor Sidley-Adams and over the bar.

Clevedon took the lead on 26 minutes. A Harry Smith corner was delivered perfectly for Lucas Vowles to rise unchallenged and head the ball into the roof of the net.

Clevedon nearly repeated the feat in the 37th minute when Smith delivered another corner, Glen Hayer was just beaten to the ball.

Falmouth went close to equalising on 42 minutes when Syd Camper headed the ball off the line from a corner and allow the visitors to go in for the break still leading.

Clevedon almost doubled their lead straight from the restart when the ball found its way to Vowles, but his shot was well saved.

Clevedon were made to pay for not taking their chances when the home side equalised in the 52nd minute. Jordan Annear broke into the box and Clevedon skipper Callum Kingdon timed his challenge perfectly to deflect the ball behind for a corner.

In a virtual repeat of the Clevedon goal the ball was floated to the back post where James Ward rose highest to head the ball home.

A good move by Clevedon on 61 minutes nearly saw them retake the lead. Elliott Nicholson cut in from the left and hit a cross-field ball to Tyler Ashmead and he crossed into the box where Archie Ferris nodded the ball wide of the far post.

A minute later and the home side took the lead. Jordan Annear burst forward and found David Blizzard overlapping on his outside and he smashed the ball across Sidley-Adams and into the net.

With one goal needed to take the tie into extra time, Clevedon kept pushing forward and on 87 minutes they won a corner. Camper floated the ball in but nobody in a blue and white shirt could get a head on the ball.

Clevedon are next in action on Saturday when they return to league action and visit Chipping Sodbury Town with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: C Sidley-Adams, T Ashmead, E Nicholson (S Downe 69), H Smith (H Walton 75), G Hayer, C Kingdon (c), S Camper, M Williams, A Ferris, L Vowles, J Sell (A Camm 83).

Report and photos courtesy of

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists