Emphatic win for Swiss Valley

PUBLISHED: 14:32 21 November 2012

Football generic picture

Football generic picture


Swiss Valley Rangers Under-12s recorded an emphatic 9-1 win over Berrow.

SWISS Valley Rangers Under-12s made light work of conditions and passed the ball with great fluency throughout to record an emphatic 9-1 win over Berrow.

With Berrow pinned within their own half, Rangers made plenty of chances, converting five by half-time.

On the scoresheet were Evan Clarke, Sam Cocker (player of the game), Max Tryfonos, Folade Tinubu (2) and Lloyd Wotton (3).

It was a team performance with notable contributions from goalie Ben Tidcombe, defenders Adam Major and Charlie Last, Tom Hayden in central midfield and Dan Harrison on the left.

Despite being on the receiving end, Berrow competed throughout and scored a well-deserved last goal of the game.

United Under-9s A team put on a commanding performance and beat Milton Nomads 7-1 with goals from Thomas Kemble (2), Freddie King (3) and one each from Charlie Parsons and Ben Hodges.

Oliver Brown, Harry Kenny and Thomas Ballard and Charlie Sell were a strong unit at the back for Nailsea.

The B team put on a scintillating performance and won 11-0 with goals from James Warren (4), Jokob Hole (3), Elliott Moore (2), Harvey Coates and an own goal.

Nomads battled well but came up against a firm defence of Joe Eyles and Evan Williams, and conceded no goals for a second successive week.

Athletic Under-9s played well against a strong Backwell side and came up just short as Backwell scored two fine individual goals in the first half.

Nailsea fought back and scored through Rohan Sharp. Tijame Diallo, Jonny Westbrooke-Smith and Michael Vickers were all unlucky not to equalise after a series of Nailsea chances as time ran out.

Athletic Under-12s started well against Winscombe, but once Athletic conceded the first goal, they lost confidence and the game was effectively over.

Awards for workrate went to man of the match Ben Tooth and Yorkie Man Reece Convery, whose determination did not falter.

CLEVEDON United took on Wembdon in the Somerset Cup and went through with a narrow 1-0 victory.

Man of the match keeper Toby Petteford made some excellent saves and the Clevedon back four were solid and extremely resilient as attack after attack was thwarted.

Captain Billy Blackall, along with Lewis Obrien and Kai Found in midfield, brought their best performance to bring Clevedon into the game and an enthralling match ensued. Joe Ritchie’s headed goal-line clearance and excellent defending saw the game goal-less at half-time.

The deadlock was broken when substitute Thomas Clark provided an excellent ball for Harvey Wintle to beat the Wembdon keeper to put Clevedon through to the next round.

Clevedon Colts Sharks Under-10s were unlucky to lose 3-1 against a good Backwell side. Clevedon had enough chances to win both games, but the Sharks lacked bite and were 1-0 down at half-time.

Clevedon continued to dominate possession and Rio Perry equalised with a well-taken goal. As Clevedon pushed for the winner, Backwell scored a second and then caught Clevedon on the break to clinch the win.

Tyler Munn had an outstanding game as did man of the match Joe Newton.

The Eagles gave the opposition their usual one goal lead as they started slowly. Clevedon slowly got a foothold on the game and built from the back superbly with Alex Davies and Harry Twigger playing well.

The equaliser came from Josh Hall and a minute later Louis Carr scored number 15 of the season.The Eagles kept on playing some great football and worked hard to secure a fine win. Man of the match was Harry Twigger.

United Under-11 Lions started well, but good defending by Crusaders kept it goal-less in the first-half and it wasn’t until five minutes before the end that Clevedon got a deserved winner, a great volley by Jack Thorne.

United Youth Under-11s nearly went behind when Cheddar Valley Dynamos hit the crossbar.

There was some good defending at the back from Jake Hopkins and excellent battling in midfield from Ben Wilson, earning him the man of the match award.

The only goal in the game came from a cross from Callum Wilcox to Harry Perry, which gave Clevedon their first win of the season.

United Under-10s A team made a great start against Isle of Wedmore, with both teams playing some great football.

Tom and Roman were great at the back. Fin, Rich, Craig and Sam worked well in midfield and Ty held the front line.

In the second half, with Max, Rich and Sam playing well in midfield, Clevedon opened the scoring following a great move involving almost all the boys, culminating in Craig Woollard netting.

Clevedon had a couple more chances before Tom made a fingertip save that hit the bar as they held on to win 1-0.

The B team played well in the early exchanges in another evenly-contested game. With Ben in goal, Alfie and McCauley at the back, Dan, Scott and Macca playing in midfield and Emily playing up front, Clevedon were unlucky on a few occasions and Macca hit the post with a fine strike.

Scott also hit another great strike, with the keeper making another great save before Macca made it 1-0.

Wedmore hit back, catching Clevedon on the break to make it 1-1. United finished the stronger with a great move that finished with Emily crossing for MaCauley, who finished at the back post in style.

PORTISHEAD Under-14s cruised into the next round with an emphatic 11-0 Woodspring League Cup victory over Burnbridge.

Star of the show was Oskar Todd, who grabbed a hat-trick and also set up three goals for his team-mates as Juniors’ attackers dominated the game. Luke Osgood and Joe Hance scored four and two respectively.

Alex Twiggs, Sam Torrance and Callum Jones were strong defensively in midfield, ahead of reliable defenders Jamie Whifield, James McCall, James Robinson and Warnes. Keeper Will Bennett confidently dealt with limited Burnbridge attacks late in the game.

The Under-11s lacked any structure in the first half of this cup game and Backwell took full advantage and scored two early goals.

In the second half, Portishead hit the post and there were some great performances by Ben Edwards in goal, Dan Beacham both on the wing and in goal, Nick Membury in defence and also Sam Challenger who deserved his man of the match award.

The Under-13s scored 15 goals which constantly stretched and pressurised the Weston Town defence in the first half and built on this in a never-ending onslaught in the second half.

Goals were scored by Henry Colston (4), Ben Cureton (3), two goals from man of the match Joel Lomax, Emon Islam (2), Andrew Head (2) and one goal from Harry Davies and Declan Hay.

AN early goal from the first division visitors Priory, meant that Yatton Under-14s had to work hard in the second round of the cup.

David Cushen equalised, but a dominant Priory responded with a further three goals before Dominic Hooper hit the target, putting Yatton back in the game by half-time.

Joe Gentry worked his magic ensuring that all was not lost in the second half with two super goals, as Priory continued to find the back of the net.

Declan Walters worked tirelessly and was finally rewarded to bring the final score to a creditable 5-10.

JACK Thatcher drove past the opposition goalkeeper late in the game to grab a well-deserved equaliser for Nailsea Rangers Under-11s against a well organised Yatton Rangers side.

An earlier goal for Nailsea from Dylan Jewell-Deverson and a strong man of the match performance from Harry Duerden, helped Nailsea share the points with Yatton.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times