Cup victory for Portishead

PUBLISHED: 14:41 14 November 2012

Nailsea Rangers Under-11s.

Nailsea Rangers Under-11s.


Portishead Under-9s progressed to the next round of the cup with a 3-0 victory over Hutton.

PORTISHEAD Town Under-9s progressed to the second round of the cup with a hard earned 3-0 victory against Hutton.

Juniors missed several good chances in the first half and had to wait until midway through the second half before Jacob Brand opened the scoring. Within five minutes it was 3-0 thanks to Reilly Civill-Holt and Jack Nattress.

Man of the match Sam Rees provided two assists and Rory Moir was strong in defence.

A five-star first-half performance was enough to secure the Under-14s an 8-4 victory over Burnbridge.

Within five minutes Joe Hance fired Portishead into the lead, followed by good efforts from Alex Twiggs, Ashley Leathem and Sam Torrance. Hance soon grabbed his second, running on to a pass from Fernando Monseratte.

With Portishead seemingly in command, Wanderers scored against the run of play to half the advantage. Portishead quickly restored their two goal lead with Luke Osgood profiting from a defensive mistake.

Two further Juniors’ goals followed before half-time. Tyler Ashmead producing a fine diving header before Hance completed his hat-trick.

After the break, Portishead scored two early goals to increase their lead to 7-1. Osgood grabbed the first, before Jamie Whitfield netted the second. Despite Monseratte heading an eighth, Wanderers scored three more goals without reply.

Luke Osgood won the man of the match award.

A competitive local derby saw Portishead Town Youth Under-11s come out 2-0 winners against Portishead Rangers.

Man of the match Tom Russell opened the scoring with a header from Sam Challenger’s cross. The second goal which sealed victory was a goalmouth scramble with Jacob Faulkener getting the final touch.

However, it was the solid defensive work from Kieran Monks, Matteo McKenny and Nick Membury that made sure of a clean sheet, with McKenny making one of the tackles of the season to stop Rangers getting in on goal.

The Under-13s keeper Robert Farquhar endured a quite match with Portishead constantly on the attack against Burnbridge.

Portishead opened up the scoring with a goal from Ben Cureton, followed by an onslaught of further goals from man of the match Andrew Head (4), a hat-trick from Declan Hay, Alex O’Keeffe (2) and Joel Lomax.

NAILSEA Athletic Under-9s made the short journey to high-flying Long Ashton for this rearranged cup tie.

They never stopped trying to play football and scored through a Tijame Diallo penalty. Good performances from Oliver Kite and Jamie Thornton held the side together with some new players making their debuts for the club the future looks bright, despite the 15-1 scoreline.

The Under-9s A welcomed Isle of Wedmore came to the Grove and went on to win 6-1 with goals from Thomas Ballard, Freddie King (2) and three goals from Thomas Kemble. Wedmore scored just after half-time.

Special mention goes to Jo Freear in the Nailsea goal for a commanding performance.

A Harry Watters goal after three minutes set the B team on the road to a comfortable 4-0 win over Wedmore with a Charlie Parsons hat-trick rounding the scoring off.

Nailsea defended superbly through Joe Eyles and Harry Kenny and for the last 10 minutes Harvey Coates. With Charlie Sell in goal making a couple of important saves, Nailsea kept a clean sheet.

The Under-12s man of the match Reece Pippen repeatedly frustrating the Hutton attack. Ben Watts’ one-touch goal kept Nailsea in the match, but despite players winning tackles, Nailsea could not connect their passes across the boggy ground.

Yorkie Man Will Elliot gave an outstanding display in goal, but in the end Athletic were narrowly beaten 2-1 on a wet and muddy pitch.

A majestic performance from Nailsea Rangers United Under-11s saw them knock six goals passed Priory Pumas United to win a comfortable game 6-2.

An own goal followed by goals from Ben Lewis (2), Dylan Jewell-Deverson (2), and one from man of the match Jack Thatcher sealed all three points.

Nailsea Rangers Under-11s pictured in their new kit, which has kindly been provided by team sponsors NSR Engineering and Priority Express.

CLEVEDON United Under-10s A made a great start to this game against Nailsea with all players involved.

In the first half, Tom made a few great saves and Roman and Richard were solid at the back. The midfield of Max, Craig and Rich played well and Ty ran tirelessly up front.

Clevedon opened the scoring after a corner by Ty was flicked in at the near post by Craig. After some fine silky skills by Max, Rich saw his shot well saved by the keeper, but Sam did well to follow up make it 2-0 at half-time.

Clevedon scored again after another corner with Craig tapping in again and Craig Woollard scored the fourth and his hat-trick.

Clevedon Utd Juniors U10 B – 0 – Nailsea Utd – 2

The B team played well in the early exchanges in an evenly contested game. They started with Ben in goal and Alfie and Macca at the back, with Dan, Jordan and McCauley playing well in midfield and Emily up front.

Clevedon were lucky on a few occasions not to concede and Ben also made some fine saves in the first half to help keep the score at 0-0.

Macca went between the sticks in the second half, and was unlucky to concede two goals, even though he made some great saves.

The Colts Sharks Under-10s battled bravely in a tough game against a good Priory side before going down 3-0.

Clevedon were one down at half-time, but could have been on level terms. Joe Newton hit a couple of cracking efforts just over the bar and Jamie Pass and Rio Perry also went close.

After the break, Clevedon began to run out of steam and ended up losing 3-0. Tyler Munn ran himself into the ground, as did Alex Stebbing and man of the match Ciaran Clarke was brilliant in defence.

The Colts Eagles Under-10s started slowly and found themselves a goal behind. After that, they dominated the first half and equalised through Louis Carr. Wilf James made some great saves and looked unbeatable in goal.

Reuben Mills took control of the midfield and Alex Davies did likewise in the defence, but it was man of the match Carr who raced through to score his 14th goal of the season and clinch the win for Clevedon.

The Under-11 Lions defeated Long Ashton 5-1 and were the best side throughout this game.

First half goals from Jack Thorne and Will Davey and great defending by Billy Lye, Jake Pegler and Josh Chappell meant the game was safe by the break.

In the second half, three more goals from Thorne made it 5-0. Long Ashton scored a late goal to make it 5-1.

Another superb start from Clevedon Youth Under-11s saw a near miss from Jonah Murray off the crossbar in the first few minutes of the game.

Shortly after, a good cross from Callum Wilcox saw Harry Perry open the scoring. A second goal from Perry a few minutes later took the score to 2-1.

After a handball in the box, Perry’s penalty shot was saved by the Yatton’s goalie, which denied him his hat-trick. Unfortunately, a free kick from Yatton and a couple more goals saw the final score 4-2 to Yatton.

The Under-11 Panthers started with intent against Axbridge. Will Jones, Sam Lewis and Joe Pass all had attempts on goal before Axbridge came back into the game.

Axbridge gradually took more and more possession and scored from long range before putting the defence of Oli Carlier, Nathan Turner and Harry Johns under pressure.

Only their resilience kept Axbridge down to two goal. Clevedon finished with a flourish and swap of keepers worked as it was keeper turned striker Connor Thie that brought back a goal for Clevedon.

Owen Vowles excellent performance earned him the man of the match award.

Portishead put the Under-13s under pressure at the start, but it was Clevedon’s first break that saw Harvey Wintle open the scoring. Clevedon pressed again and Joe Ritchie slotted home their second.

The second half saw Portishead come out fighting with Mitchell taking control of midfield. Clevedon’s defence of Dougal Stagg, Joe Turner, Kai Found, man of the match Joe Baker and keeper Toby Petteford limited Portishead attacks to just one goal.

EASTON Under-14s started brightly against Priory Vikings and created some good chances.

Daniel Parslow and Joe Crutchley were both looking dangerous on the wings, and it was a clever run and excellent finish by Parslow which gave Easton a 1-0 advantage at half-time.

After the break, Easton were again quick to get going and Thomas Mitchell latched on to a clearance to fire the ball into the net. Easton created a number of chances with Brooks, Crutchley and King all going close.

Vikings kept Easton’s defence busy, but Antolic, Stevenson, Parker and Bartlett-Azad always looked in control and 2 -0 was a fair result with Priory Vikings’ goalie the man of the match.

ON a heavy pitch it was Clevedon who had the better of the initial chances against Yatton Under-11s, only to be denied by the bar and the goalkeeper.

Clevedon opened the scoring, only to be followed with an equaliser by Max Howell from Yatton. Clevedon pushed forward again and were rewarded with another goal.

Near the end of the first-half, Clevedon were awarded a penalty which was saved by Isaac Andrews.

After the break, Yatton drew level with a goal from Josh Carpenter and there were further goals scored by Joe Nicholls and James McDermott as they ran out 4-2 winners. Good defending from Aaron Cottle ensured Yatton’s win.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times