Clevedon Town through to the next round of the Les Phillips Cup

PUBLISHED: 09:48 14 November 2018

Lucas Vowles.

Lucas Vowles.


Clevedon Town progressed to the next round of the Les Phillips Cup, but lost out to second-placed Willand Rovers in the league.

Clevedon Town 4

Bridport 0

The original attempt to play this fixture was abandoned when Clevedon’s midfielder Morgan Williams unfortunately broke his leg.

This game proved a fitting tribute to Morgan with the home side’s pace and movement proving far too much for the visitors with Clevedon progressing to the next round of the Les Phillips Cup by four goals to nil.

Clevedon took the lead in the ninth minute when excellent passing by Lucas Vowles, Jack Sell and Harry Smith combined to set up Archie Ferris to head home.

Man of the match Sell was tormenting the defence and had a couple of shots go close. Clevedon nearly doubled the lead on 39 minutes when Sell’s cross was met by Vowles and his well-struck shot was well saved.

The home side doubled their lead on 45 minutes when a long ball found Sell, before he wrong-footed his markers and smashed the ball into the far corner of the net.

A quick Clevedon break in the 72nd minute saw Sell set up Vowles but his shot went wide. Three minutes later and another quick break saw the home side score again. Sell who cut inside his marker and took the ball around the keeper to make the score 3-0.

Clevedon wrapped the game up in the 87th minute. Tyler Ashmead’s run was stopped illegally just outside the box. Vowles curled the free-kick over the wall and past the keeper to make the final score 4-0.

Clevedon Town 0

Willand Rovers 4

Second-placed Willand Rovers arrived at The Everyone Active Stadium and two goals in each half saw them leave with the points.

There appeared little danger in the 13rd minute as Clevedon were looking to play the ball out from the back, but unfortunately for the home team Connor Sidley-Adams failed to spot Willand’s Brad Ausden lurking in front of goal and the keeper played the perfect pass to set the striker up for a simple tap-in.

The visitors doubled their lead when Sidley-Adams mistimed his challenge and the referee pointed to the spot. Josh Searle stepped up and sent Connor the wrong way to make the score 0-2.

In the first minute of injury time the ball was played forward to Clevedon’s man of the match Archie Ferris, but after turning well he shot over.

Willand extended the lead on 50 minutes. Keeper Mike Searle’s clearance was headed back towards his own goal by Clevedon’s Glen Hayer where Ausden nipped in to steer the ball past Sidley-Adams.

A Clevedon attack in the 60th minute saw the ball played to Hayer 25 yards out and his powerful shot was pushed behind for a corner.

Willand wrapped the game up on 63 minutes. The ball was collected by Craig Duff and his shot flew into the top corner of the net.

The home side had a couple of further chances through Ashmead and Hayer, while substitute Ethan Feltham hit the inside of the post.

Clevedon are next in action on tonight (Wednesday) when Bridgwater Town visit The Everyone Active Stadium in the Somerset Premier Cup with a 7.45pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town Under-18s are taking on Sutton United in the second round of the FA Youth Cup on Monday with a 7.45 pm kick-off.

With the draw for the third round having already been made, both sides will be desperate for victory with the winners entertaining Manchester City.

Reports and photos courtesy of

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists