Colts hold their own

PUBLISHED: 14:20 04 May 2011

Portishead Under-12s.

Portishead Under-12s.


Clevedon United Colts Under-9s end their season in good form.

PORTISHEAD Under-12s celebrated in style after a convincing 6-0 victory in this years cup final against Burnbridge played at Yatton Football Club.

Burnbridge put up a gallant fight and although they may feel the scoreline was a little harsh they were up against a side whose end of season form has been in parts excellent.

Portishead were quickly into their stride with their midfield controlling the tempo of the game. With options down both flanks Burnbridge were forced to defend in numbers as Tyler Ashmead and Toby Hart brought frontmen Tyler Manning and Luke Osgood into the game at every opportunity. Defensively, James Robinson, Aaron Cain and James McCall were solid.

The opening goal was prodded home by Hart after an intense spell of pressure on the Burnbridge defence. Lewis Harvey was relishing in his deep midfield role, whilst Alex Twiggs was busy throughout and linked play well. Manning gave his side a 2-0 lead with a good shot from distance before a clever Hugo Miles pass set Osgood away to cross for Manning to tap home to give his side a comfortable half time advantage.

Burnbridge enjoyed their best spell of the game at the start of the second half, but Portishead keeper Will Bennett was in top form. Callum Jones, working well with Elliott Kay created some good moves forward one of which led to Osgood firing a fourth goal which effectively ended Burnbridge’s resistance.

Oskar Todd added another dimension up front and his touch after great work from Eliot Parsons led to two Harvey efforts which flew just wide. With Miles and Twiggs probing to the end, an inspirational addition of David Warnes led to two late efforts from hat-trick man Osgood.

CLEVEDON United Colts Under-9s held their own against Priory Rangers.

Play was from end to end with great play from Rhys Cunningham and Will Jones. Man of the match Joe Wynne was outstanding in goal, even saving a penalty.

Sam Lewis was superb in midfield and with a 100 per cent team effort from Clevedon, the final outcome was a well-deserved point apiece.

In a match dominated by the wind, Nailsea Athletic started strongly, taking full advantage of the wind in their favour, giving them a 5-0 lead at half-time.

However, the second half saw Clevedon on top with great defence by Owen Vowles and Nathan Turner setting a strong base for man of the match Ollie Burns in midfield to set up the first of Clevedon’s goals for Harry Johns.

Will Jones then pulled it back to 5-2 before Nailsea broke to score again in the last seconds of the game.

Manager Tom Thie thanked his team for all their hard work this season, and to express how proud he was at how much they had improved.

Pictured are Clevedon United Under-16s in their last ever junior football match. The manager of the team is Steve Thomas.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times