Clevedon youngsters held to second successive draw

PUBLISHED: 15:00 15 October 2014 | UPDATED: 15:00 15 October 2014

Portishead Under-15s in action.

Portishead Under-15s in action.


Clevedon United Under-11s were held to a second successive draw, this time against Portishead.

CLEVEDON United Under-11s followed last week’s close drawn match against Nailsea with another 2-2 draw against Portishead.

An early corner caught United napping to put Portishead 1-0 up. Clevedon replied instantly from the restart with a fantastic strike from outside the box by Josh Morgan. Clevedon settled and following an excellent long-range strike from Louie Woodland, Portishead’s keeper could only parry the ball to Sam Dawson, whose shot brought another good save, Max Horton netted for a 2-1 lead at half-time.

The second half saw Clevedon press Portishead, with good work from Reilly Civill-Holt, Sol Hamblin and Alex Holmes and there was solid work at the back from Clevedon’s Luke Pitts and Joe Haskins.

United were caught by a quick Portishead break and keeper Lucas Selway was unlucky, seeing his fingertip save finish the wrong side of the post.

Clevedon went close to a winner near the end with efforts from Jake Brand, Horton and Louie Woodland.

The Under-12s just edged an enjoyable game after falling behind to a good Swiss Valley side.

Both teams exchanged blows before Valley took the lead when a cross took a couple of deflections and crept its way into the Clevedon goal. United kept going and levelled the scores when Jamie Pass played Sam Dewfall in to lob the keeper.

The second half remained tight and Clevedon rode their luck. Tyler Munn in the United goal was outstanding making several top class saves, while Roman Bessant and Rio Perry looked solid in defence.

Dewfall snatched a winner for Clevedon and the impressive Fin Nolan was player of the week, but the whole team can be very pleased with their game.

PORTISHEAD Under-15s opened the scoring in this cup encounter against Burnbridge Wanderers within five minutes when Ben Cureton scored from Andrew Head’s corner.

An impressive volley from Alex O’Keeffe saw Portishead extend their lead before a chip over the keeper from Scott Shephard saw Portishead finish the first-half with a comfortable three goal lead.

Portishead added to their goal count in the second half which saw man of the match Alex O’Keeffe complete his hat-trick and further goals came from Emon Islam and Head.

Portishead’s defence of Farquhar, Snow, Scott-Green, Bartlett and Shears put in fine performance and were rewarded with a clean sheet.

The Under-13s hosted top of the table Axbridge Saxons and found themselves two goals down within the first few minutes.

To their credit, they recovered before half-time through a penalty by man of the match Tom Russell and an equaliser by Sam Challenger.

After the break, despite some great defending by Matt Crutchley and Kieran Monks, Saxons broke late on and scored a winner against the run of play.

The Under-11s travelled to Clevedon and battled hard to earn a point in a 2-2 draw.

Man of the match Ethan Monks scored in the first few minutes following a great set piece by Sam Rees. Clevedon came back well to take the lead into the break.

Juniors improved in the second half with Jack Nattress finishing well following a great pass by Ben Elliott. Alex Rees went close with a lob and with the last touch of the game, Monks picked out Sam Rees at the back post, but his shot hit the side netting.

ALTHOUGH Swiss Valley Rangers Under-14s enjoyed long spells of possession, they were unable to convert any of their attacking play into scoring chances.

In contrast, Burnham’s clinical finishing saw them three up by half-time and a fourth, through a penalty, put the game beyond Rangers’ reach early in the second half.

Max Tryfonos deputised in goal following Ben Tidcombe’s injury, and Riccardo Ginas Dias picked up Rangers’ player of the game award.

In a game of two halves, the Under-11s attacked from the first whistle and controlled the first-half with some flowing football. They went into the break 4-0 up with goals from Jack Jenkins, Gethin Clarke (2) and Isaac Loveridge.

Matthew Lane, Isaac Loveridge, and Sam Pouncey controlled the midfield with Myles Gibson, Joe Dyas, Josh Callaghan and Oliver Henley disciplined at the back, snubbing out the odd Winscombe attack.

The second half started with a goal from Winscombe to reduced the deficit. Rangers had a number of openings for Gethin Clarke, Dylan Forbes and Jack Jenkins.

NAILSEA Athletic Under-11s drew 2-2 against Burnham in a match between two evenly-matched sides.

Burnham dominated the early exchanges, winning most of the midfield battles and could count themselves unlucky not to take the lead, with Charlie Sell, making his first appearance between the posts for Nailsea, making a number of important saves.

The deadlock was broken with half-time approaching when Tijane Diallo made it 1-0 to Nailsea.

The second half was a more end-to-end affair with chances for both teams. Burnham equalised midway through the half, only for Nailsea to restore their lead through an excellent finish from Luke Jordan.

Burnham did not give up and with a minute remaining they equalised for a second time with a blistering shot.

This was a top versus bottom fixture, but there seemed to be no difference between the sides as Hutton, clearly motivated, came at Nailsea Under-11s from the kick-off.

Hutton were first to make the breakthrough from a corner which was handled by a Nailsea defender and Joe Friars in the Nailsea goal nearly managed to keep the ball out.

Nailsea started to create chances and after a passing move between Harry Watters, Seb Allen, a Thomas Kemble through ball found Elliott Moore racing through causing a fine stop from the Hutton keeper, but the loose ball fell to Jakob Hole who netted.

The second half started with Nailsea on the offensive and the second Nailsea goal came when James Warren set up Moore to score the second.

Soon after, Nailsea were awarded a penalty of their own, but the Hutton keeper made a fine save from Moore. There were fine games from Oliver Brown, Craig Bessant and Charlie Parsons.

After a break from league action, Nailsea Under-16s started this game strongly and opened the scoring from a corner taken by Dan Weavis, which was headed powerfully home by Matty Aquilina.

Liam Eyles latched onto a mistake, but a covering Swiss defender made a vital saving tackle. At the other end, keeper Luke Ashworth made a brilliant one-handed stop.

Just after the break, Tom Penny twisted and turned on the edge of the Swiss box to shoot past the stranded keeper. Not long after, Swiss Valley scored through a powerful shot.

A clash of heads left a Swiss player needing lengthy treatment for a head and neck injury, which resulted in an ambulance being called. The match was transferred to an adjoining pitch after a 40 minute delay and Nailsea defended resolutely with Arron Fisher and Jack Penny rock solid in defence.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists