Clevedon Town slip to two narrow away defeats

PUBLISHED: 11:19 25 April 2018 | UPDATED: 11:19 25 April 2018

Saikou Janneh.

Saikou Janneh.


Clevedon Town slipped to two narrow away defeats at Bridport and Cadbury Heath.

Bridport 2

Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon travelled to St Mary’s Field to take on The Bees of Bridport and conceded a goal in each half to fall to a 2-0 defeat on a warm afternoon in Dorset.

Clevedon were gifted a good opportunity in the 12th minute when Bridport’s Chris McGrath under-hit his attempted back-pass, but Saikou Janneh was crowded out and the chance was gone.

Bridport took the lead on 15 minutes. There appeared little danger to the visitors’ defence when Edward Butcher collected the ball, but his perfectly placed cross found Oscar Latas at the near post and he looped his header over Damien Freeman and into the back of the net.

Clevedon went close when Morgan Williams’ 25-yard shot was tipped around the post. The visitors thought they had equalised a minute later when Clayton Fortune had the ball in the net, but the assistant referee flagged to indicate that the ball had struck Fortune’s hand when he blocked the clearance.

Further chances fell to Janneh and Lucas Vowles as the home side reached the break with a narrow lead.

In the second half, Fortune and Janneh both had chances, before Tom Baker deflected a Bridport effort wide. The home side had the ball in the net, but this was disallowed for offside.

Clevedon could have equalised in the 77th minute, when Callum Kingdon and Fortune combined to set up Janneh, but his shot flew high over the bar.

Bridport doubled their lead in the 88th minute when Mark Salter was unmarked to nod the ball home for his 500th goal and one of the easiest to make the score 2-0.

Cadbury Heath 1

Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon travelled to Cadbury Heath and having created numerous chances in the first-half which they failed to convert, the home side scored a last-minute winner.

Chances fell Saikou Janneh and Glen Hayer, while at the other end Damien Freeman made a fine save. Further efforts by Kevin Camargo, Dan Parslow and Janneh also proved fruitless.

Tyler Ashmead had a shot cleared off the line, while Cadbury Heath nearly took the lead in the 43rd minute, but Huxley’s shot was magnificently cleared off the line by Tom Baker.

Clevedon created the first chance of the second half on 57 minutes when Baker played the ball through for Janneh to outpace two defenders before shooting straight at the keeper.

A strong run by Morgan Davies in the 70th minute took him into the box before blasting his shot over the bar.

Clevedon were made to pay for their failure to take their chances when the home side scored in the 90th minute. A corner was converted by Huxley to give the home side a narrow 1-0 victory.

Clevedon are next in action on Saturday when they visit Wells for their final league game of the season with a 3pm kick-off.

Reports and photos courtesy of

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times