Clevedon Town slip to defeat at Bradford Town

PUBLISHED: 10:41 14 March 2018

Saikou Janneh.

Saikou Janneh.


Clevedon Town slipped to defeat at third-placed Bradford Town.

Bradford Town 3

Clevedon Town 1

Clevedon Town travelled to take on third-placed Bradford Town and despite a period at the start of the second half when they threatened to get back on level terms, they eventually went down 3-1.

Clevedon were the quickest to show and created the first chance on four minutes when Saikou Janneh’s shot was easily saved by Bradford keeper Charlie Phillips.

Bradford took the lead in the 17th minute when a long ball from right-back Matt Morris found Martin Lenihan, who played the ball through for top-scorer Sam Jordan to smash the ball past Damien Freeman.

Clevedon nearly got back on level terms on 22 minutes when a Ryan Gissing free-kick was lifted into the box where the ball glanced off the head of Bradford’s Billy Fletcher and went narrowly wide of the far post.

Bradford thought they had doubled their lead in the 30th minute when Tom Baker’s back-pass was intercepted by Sam Jordan who managed to flick the ball past the onrushing Freeman, but Glen Hayer did magnificently to get back and clear the ball off the line.

The home side doubled their lead in the 38th minute. Dan Cottle cut into the box and despite the narrow angle managed to power the ball into the net.

Clevedon came out for the second half knowing that they needed to score next to have a chance of getting anything from the game and proceeded to have their best period of the match.

A strong run by man of the match Tyler Ashmead saw the ball crossed into the box where Morgan Williams met the ball and saw his diving header go just wide of the far post.

Clevedon pulled a goal back in the 49th minute, when Sekani Simpson played the ball forward to skipper Clayton Fortune whose attempted shot fell nicely into the path of Tyler Ashmead who managed to prod the ball over the line to make the score 2-1.

A minute later and Bradford nearly extended their lead when Jordan turned in the box, but his shot hit the post and the rebound was cleared.

Clevedon should have equalised on 63 minutes when Fortune found Morgan Davies, who played the ball into the box to Ashmead, but keeper Phillips produced an excellent save.

This save proved crucial as the home side visibly gained belief in their ability to go on and win the game while it signalled the end of Clevedon’s best period of the game.

The home side went further ahead in the 74th minute when they were awarded a penalty. Mark Wall was brought down by Fortune and Morris sent Freeman the wrong way.

Bradford nearly went further ahead on 78 minutes when Jordan rounded Freeman but the angle was too tight and the striker could only shoot into the side netting.

The final action of the game in the second minute of stoppage time saw Simpson’s free-kick played into the box where Fortune’s volley flew over the bar.

Clevedon are next in action on Saturday when Melksham Town visit The Everyone Active Stadium with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: D Freeman, S Simpson, R Gissing, G Hayer, T Baker, C Fortune, M Williams (J Sell 76), C Kingdon, M Davies (L Vowles 67), S Janneh, T Ashmead.

Reports and photos courtesy of

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists