Victory gives Clevedon Town first points of the new season

PUBLISHED: 09:58 15 August 2018 | UPDATED: 09:58 15 August 2018

Archie Ferris watched by Kacper Lopata and Glen Hayer.

Archie Ferris watched by Kacper Lopata and Glen Hayer.


A young Clevedon Town side gave an excellent performance to pick up their first points of the new season, with a 4-3 victory over Brislington.

Clevedon Town 4

Brislington 3

Those lucky enough to be at The Everyone Active Stadium to witness Clevedon’s first home game of the new season were treated to one of the best games of football played at the stadium in a long time.

The youthful Clevedon side, average age of just 19, took the lead on three occasions and each time the visitors pegged them back, but the home side finally broke the shackles with the 89th minute winner.

Clevedon took the lead on eight minutes when a quick break saw Tyler Ashmead play a perfect through-ball to release Jack Sell at pace and he beat one defender before slotting shot past Chris Blammon and into the back of the net.

The pattern of the game was soon set as Brislington equalised in the 15th minute when Louis Britton lifted the ball over Connor Sidley-Adams and into the net.

Clevedon went back ahead on 36 minutes with an absolute cracker. The ball was cleared to Elliott Nicholson 25 yards from goal and he connected so sweetly that the ball flew into the top corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Two minutes later and Brislington equalised again when Conner Biggins was given too much time in the Clevedon box to allow him to pick his spot to make the half-time score 2-2.

Clevedon came out for the second half looking to continue playing positive attacking football and a sparkling move deserved a goal as Morgan Williams and Elliott Nicholson combined to set up Mitch Osmond, but his shot was well saved by Chris Blammon.

Clevedon again went in front in the 53rd minute. Tyler Ashmead played the ball across the box where it was collected by Williams, who passed to Ashmead before playing a reverse pass to Mitch Osmond that completely wrong-footed the visiting defence for Osmond to make the score 3-2.

Five minutes later and Brislington were level again. A cross found Clarke Taylor at the far post and he took a touch before hitting the ball across Sidley-Adams and into the net.

Clevedon had to be grateful to Sidley-Adams on 71 minutes when Biggins found space in the box and his goal-bound shot was excellently saved by the keeper.

Brislington weren’t settling for a point either and on 82 minutes a shot by Mike Rimmer was pushed away by Sidley-Adams and with the rebound sent goalwards and heading into the corner of the net, but Clevedon skipper Callum Kingdon was on hand to head the ball off the line.

Clevedon went ahead for the fourth time on 89 minutes when they were awarded a free-kick 20 yards out in the centre of the pitch. Lucas Vowles stepped up and curled the ball around the right edge of the wall and into the bottom corner of the net to make the score 4-3.

Clevedon held on to secure a thrilling victory and collect their first points of the new season.

Clevedon Town 1

Portland United 2

Clevedon welcomed Portland United to The Everyone Active Stadium in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup and despite a late goal giving the home fans hope of snatching an equaliser to force a replay in Dorset, it was the visitors who progressed with a goal in each half giving them a 2-1 victory.

Portland took the lead on 21 minutes when the ball was played into Alex Godfrey just outside the box and his shot took a big deflection that gave Clevedon keeper Connor Sidley-Adams no chance.

Clevedon went close to an equaliser through Archie Ferris, Lucas Vowles and Tyler Ashmead, but it was the visitors who went into half-time with a narrow lead.

After the break, Ferris, Elliott Nicholson, Morgan Williams and Ashmead all had shots go close, before Portland doubled their lead on 86 minutes from the penalty spot.

A corner was cleared before the ball was returned to the back post where Aston Buckler was fouled and Lewis Whyton saw Sidley-Adams make the save, but the ball bounced back to the Portland striker to make the score 0-2.

Clevedon gave themelves hope when they went straight down the other end from the restart and pulled a goal back.

Ashmead’s shot was pushed behind by Jordan Tewkesbury for a corner which Harry Walton floated to the back post where substitute Kacper Lopata headed the ball back into the middle where further headers by skipper Callum Kingdon and fellow substitute Alex Camm saw the ball headng goalwards where Ashmead made sure by nodding the ball over the line.

Despite Clevedon’s attempts at finding an equaliser the visitors held out to progress to the preliminary round of the FA Cup where they will host another Toolstation Western League team in Bitton.

Clevedon are back to league action on Saturday when Shepton Mallet visit The Everyone Active Stadium with a 3pm kick-off.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists