Clevedon Town lose out to unbeaten Westbury United

PUBLISHED: 11:11 31 October 2018

Harry Smith and Glen Hayer.

Harry Smith and Glen Hayer.


Clevedon Town lost to unbeaten Westbury United in an entertaining eight-goal encounter at the Hand Stadium.

Clevedon Town 3

Westbury United 5

Clevedon Town welcomed Westbury United to The Everyone Active Stadium and after an entertaining 90 minutes the visitors maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a 5-3 victory.

Westbury nearly got off to the perfect start when in the second minute the ball was played to Ricky Hulbert, but a magnificent tackle by Clevedon skipper Callum Kingdon averted the danger.

Westbury took the lead on nine minutes when a long pass into the Clevedon box saw Callum Demkiv beat the onrushing Connor Sidley-Adams and go around the keeper before rolling the ball into the net.

The visitors doubled the lead in the 17th minute when a free-kick into the Clevedon box was headed goalwards by Will Stead and appeared to be helped over the line by Ricky Hulbert.

It would have been easy for the Clevedon heads to have dropped after going two goals down, but they managed to pull a goal back in the 28th minute.

Tyler Ashmead’s run was stopped illegally on the edge of the penalty box. Syd Camper’s free-kick saw Lucas Vowles stoop to head the ball into the net.

Clevedon were back in the game when a long ball into the box appeared to be a lost cause as Camper chased, but his presence forced Brandon Sawyer to spill the ball with Camper making the score 2-2.

Remarkably Clevedon could have taken the lead in the 43rd minute when another free-kick by Camper saw Glen Hayer head just wide of the post.

After the break, Westbury retook the lead when Dan Kovacs found Demkiv in the box and his shot was deflected for a corner. The ball was launched into the box where after a scramble the ball wasn’t cleared and Hulbert prodded the ball home.

Westbury went further ahead on 67 minutes. Demkiv’s run appeared to be going nowhere as he faced Kingdon and Hayer, but unfortunately Hayer’s challenge saw the striker upended and the referee pointing to the spot.

Kovacs stepped up and sent Connor Sidley-Adams the wrong way to make the score 2-4.

Two minutes later and the home supporters were wondering whether there was a repeat of the first half recovery on the cards as they pulled a goal back.

Camper’s free-kick was curled into the box where Archie Ferris rose highest to send his glancing header into the far corner of the net.

The visitors wrapped up the three points on 82 minutes when a long ball was collected by Hulbert and he cut into the box before firing the ball into the back of the net.

Clevedon Town: C Sidley-Adams, T Ashmead, E Nicholson, H Smith, G Hayer, C Kingdon (c), L Vowles (D Lock 70), M Williams, A Ferris, A Camm (R Jones 83), S Camper.

Report and photos courtesy of

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times