Clevedon Town bow out of the Somerset FA Cup after shootout defeat

PUBLISHED: 11:40 10 October 2019 | UPDATED: 11:40 10 October 2019

Callum Kingdon firing his penatly over the bar during Clevedon Town's game with Keynsham Town

Callum Kingdon firing his penatly over the bar during Clevedon Town's game with Keynsham Town


Clevedon Town were knocked out of the Somerset FA Cup after a penalty shootout defeat to nine men Keynsham Town at the Everyone Active Stadium.

Callum Kingdom missed the crucial spot kick, after firing his effort over the bar to hand the visiting side a place in round two.

The Seasiders had played out a thrilling 3-3 draw after Ethan Feltham had scored with a few minutes left, after goals from Lucas Vowles and George King had twice put the hosts ahead.

The Ks had equalised twice before through Craig Wilson and Adey Harvey, before Sam Downes looked to have to sealed the win for the visitors.

Before they ended the game with nine men after both George Rooke and Scott Saunders were sent off moments after Feltham's equaliser.

On a cold wet dark night it was the visiting side who had the first chance of the tie.

After Ben Harris found Craig Wilson on the edge of the area, he fired a low shot towards goal which was easily saved by Mile Dangerfield before Harris saw his tame effort destined to hit the back of the net but Archie Ferris was there to clear the ball of the line.

The hosts gradually got into the game and after Lucas Vowles's low cross was stuck first time by Syd Camper which saw opposing goalkeeper Ashley Clark get down bravely to keep his effort out before Clevedon opened the scoring in the 39th minute.

After Cam Rickets went down injured, Elliot Nicholson played on and sent a long ball over the top which seemed to be easily dealt with by George Rowe.

However Rowe couldn't get enough power with his header back to Clark and Vowles pounced on the loose ball before showing great composure to round Clark before slotting the ball into the empty net, much to the frustration of Keynsham.

However disappointment turned into delight on the stroke of half time after John Allen's men got the goal their first half performance deserved.

Harris drove forward, finding Wilson on the edge of the area and he took aim and fired a low shot past Dangerfield to level the scores.

After another effort was cleared off the line from Micky Bell's men moments into the second half, this seemed to be the catalyst for Clevedon's second goal of the evening in the 54th minute.

Nathaniel Groom was bought down in the box and allowed George King to step up and send Clark the wrong way from the spot to put the Western League Premier side 2-1 up.

However Keynsham would equalise for the second time five minutes later after referee George Gross awarded his second penalty of the evening for a foul on Harris.

Dangerfield saved superbly from Matt Brown prompting a big cheer from the majority of the 94 crowd, however their joy was short lived after Harvey scored on the rebound, levelling the scores once more.

In an end to end game, the home side could have gone into the lead once again after George King's shot was flapped at by Clark and fell into the path of Kingdon, but he could only direct his effort high over the bar from six yards out.

And it looked like the miss would prove costly, moments after Wilson had struck the post for the visitors and went out for a corner.

After some confusion in the box, Downes showed great technique and skill to acrobatically send his effort over Dangerfield and into the back of the net in the 85th minute as it looked like it would be enough for victory.

But there was still enough time for substitute Feltham to score two minutes later, after sending his low shot past Clark to level the game once more, before emotions seemed to boil over.

Camper and Rooke went head to head for the ball before the latter allegdly pushed over Clevedon's forward, which prompted both teams to step in after Rooke picked up how marching orders.

With the tempers still brewing, Scott Saunders picked up a second yellow card in quick succession for dissent as the game headed to penalties.

Feltham opened the scoring before both Ferris and Camper made it three out of three and despite Joel Bayliss seeing his effort saved by Clark, Dangerfield followed up with an equally impressive save at the expense of Downes.

Substitute Jay Murray made it 4-4 before Captian Kingdon stepped up knowing he had to score to level the scores once again, but he sent his effort high over the bar to send fellow Western League Premier rivals through.

Clevedon Town:

Dangerfield, Nicholson, Biggs, Kingdon (C), Sandford, Ferris, Groom (Murray, 72), Ferguson, Vowles (Feltham, 56) King (Baylis, 64) and Camper.

Keynsham Town:

Clark, Rooke, Anstey, Saunders, Grist, Harvey (Long, 78), Rickets (Downes, 43), Mckenzie, Brown (Williams, 90), Wilson and Harris.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times