Clevedon Town finish home matches with victory

PUBLISHED: 09:55 18 April 2018

Dan Parslow.

Dan Parslow.


Clevedon Town finished their home fixtures with a victory over Longwell Green Sports.

Clevedon Town 3

Longwell Green Sports 1

Clevedon welcomed Longwell Green Sports to The Everyone Active Stadium for their final home game of the season and after taking a two-goal lead inside the first 11 minutes, they wrapped up all three points in the third minute of stoppage time.

Before kick-off, Callum Kingdon was presented with the trophy as supporters’ player of the season and he also received an award in recognition of having completed 100 Clevedon Town appearances in the previous game against Street.

Clevedon took the lead in the fifth minute when Kevin Camargo’s long pass found Morgan Davies, who crossed to the far post where Dan Parslow was on hand to tap the ball home for his first goal on his first senior start.

Clevedon doubled their lead on 11 minutes. A pass from Liam Dempsey found Lucas Vowles and he calmly placed his shot past Adam Forster and into the far corner of the net.

Longwell Green managed to pull a goal back in the 36th minute. A long ball was chased by Zac Drew and with Dylan Wallis racing across his penalty area the striker reached the ball first and chipped it to the far post where Ben Allen headed the ball home to make the half-time score 2-1.

Clevedon should have got the third in the 59th minute when they were awarded a penalty. Liam Dempsey was brought down, but Saikou Janneh’s spot kick was turned around the post.

Clevedon went close two minutes later when substitute Glen Hayer’s cross found Janneh whose shot was cleared to Morgan Williams and his follow-up shot was headed off the line.

The visitors went close to equalising in the 86th minute when Danny Carter’s shot from the edge of the box clipped the top of the crossbar.

Clevedon made sure of the three points in the third minute of stoppage time when Janneh’s firm shot found the corner of the net to make the final score 3-1.

Clevedon Town 2

Street 3

After an end-to-end first 45 minutes where Clevedon fell two goals behind to Champions-elect Street, the home side fought back to go in at half-time all square before eventually going down 3-2.

The first chance of the game was created by Street on six minutes when good work by Jake Mawford and Matt Hurley saw Steve Murray’s shot hit the outside of the post.

Street took the lead on 11 minutes when Damien Freeman’s clearance hit Craig Herrod, who reacted quickest to reach the rebound first and roll the ball into the empty net.

Clevedon had a great chance to equalise in the 17th minute. An Alex Russell free-kick was headed against the post by Liam Dempsey, with Tyler Ashmead heading the rebound over keeper Tom Punchyard but the ball fell just the wrong side of the crossbar.

The visitors doubled their lead when Lewis Tasker found Herrod in space behind the Clevedon defence and his cross into the box was tapped home by leading scorer Murray.

To their credit Clevedon kept pushing forward and were rewarded with a goal back in the 33rd minute. Dempsey’s quick throw caught the Street defence napping and Saikou Janneh was able to halve the deficit.

Clevedon were back on level terms in the 40th minute when Russell’s free-kick was met by Dempsey who managed to nod the ball just inside the far post.

Clevedon came out for the second half and took the game to the visitors, with Dempsey, Janneh and Williams going close, before Street took the lead on the hour through Mawford.

Clevedon were nearly back on level terms again in the 63rd minute when Tyler Ashmead’s attempted cross take a big deflection which saw Punchyard scrambling to punch the ball away from just under the bar.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men on 79 minutes when Matt Hurley was sent off for an off the ball incident with Ashmead.

The home supporters thought they had found the equaliser on 90 minutes when Janneh stepped up to rifle a 25-yard free-kick past the wall, but a defender cleared the ball off the line.

Despite Clevedon’s efforts they were unable to find a third goal and Street took the points which means that they now need another four from their remaining six games to clinc the title.

Clevedon are next in action when they travel to Bridport for their penultimate game on Saturday (3pm).

Reports and photos courtesy of

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times