Bad start proves costly as Clevedon Town come up short against Bitton rivals

PUBLISHED: 09:00 30 January 2019

Sam Holden watched by Callum Kingdon (photos courtesy of

Sam Holden watched by Callum Kingdon (photos courtesy of


Clevedon Town were left to rue a slow start as they suffered a 2-1 defeat against Bitton in the Toolstation Western League Premier Division.

Alex Camm watched by Syd Camper (photos courtesy of Camm watched by Syd Camper (photos courtesy of

Sam Blackiston denied Joe McClennan with a good save after only four minutes, while Tyler Ashmead’s great tackle thwarted Dean Griffiths soon after.

McClennan wasted another chance for the visitors, before Josh Egan curled a free-kick just wide of the far post.

But the breakthrough came on 23 minutes when Aysa Corrick cut in from the left and fired in a shot which bounced awkwardly to evade Blackiston and find the net.

And it was 2-0 just two minutes later as a long ball down the right found Egan in space and, as Blackiston came out to narrow the angle, he slotted home.

Callum Kingdon watched by Glen Hayer and Sam Holden (photos courtesy of Kingdon watched by Glen Hayer and Sam Holden (photos courtesy of

Clevedon looked to respond as Ashmed produced a run on the right to tee up Alex Camm, whose shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Syd Camper delivered the set-piece but the unmarked Glen Hayer could only find the side netting.

Ashmead had a shot of his own blocked on 34 minutes, with Camper’s follow-up saved by Dan Worton.

And Clevedon went close on 38 minutes when a 30-yard shot from Sam Holden curled narrowly wide of the post, before Ashmead’s cross found Lucas Vowles, who headed just past the far post.

Tyler Ashmead in action for Clevedon Town (photos courtesy of Ashmead in action for Clevedon Town (photos courtesy of

Having weathered the pressure, Bitton broke on 42 minutes to win a free-kick, but Blackiston saved well from Egan’s deflected effort.

And Clevedon halved the deficit in stoppage time when a flowing passing move ended with Camper brought down by Dan Hynes, before picking himself up to score from the spot.

Vowles fired a free-kick well over on 51 minutes, while Archie Ferris headed just over from Ashmead’s cross midway through the second half, but Blackiston had to make a smart save to keep out Ben Harris.

Clevedon had a great chance of an equaliser on 83 minutes, though, when under-18 Sam Larkins took the ball from Danny Lock and played Ferris through, only for his shot to slip past the onrushing keeper and the post.

Harris sent a late chance just wide for the visitors, but they left with the points as Larkins took the man of the match award for Clevedon on his first start.

Clevedon visit Shepton Mallet on Saturday (3pm).

Clevedon: Blackiston, Ashmead, Camper (Sell 48), Larkins, Hayer, Lock, Holden (Nicholson 74), Kingdon, Ferris, Camm (Smith 74), Vowles.

Attendance: 95.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times