Clevedon maintain perfect December record

PUBLISHED: 16:00 31 December 2018

Clevedon Town continued their fine form with an excellent win over Cadbury Heath. Picture: Pitchero/Clevedon Town

Clevedon Town continued their fine form with an excellent win over Cadbury Heath. Picture: Pitchero/Clevedon Town

Pitchero/Clevedon Town

Clevedon Town welcomed Cadbury Heath to The Everyone Active Stadium and continued with their excellent run of form with a 4-1 win - their sixth win in a row.

Having won every game in December they have scored 24 goals and only conceded five and remain fourth in the Toolstation Western League Premier Division, but are level on points with Bridgwater Town in third.

Clevedon almost took the lead on two minutes when Syd Camper got down the left and put in a cross to the far post where Sam Holden looked to have bundled the ball over the line but the assistant referee decided it had not crossed the line.

Camper’s ball down the left in the 12th minute found Archie Ferris and he cut into the box before making space to shoot from a narrow angle and visiting keeper Jamie Powell did well to push the ball around the post for a corner which came to nothing.

A minute later and the home side took the lead. A long ball forward found Ferris bursting into the box and his shot from the right edge of the six-yard box was pushed across goal by Powell where Joe Woodley’s attempted clearance saw it end up in the back of the net for an own goal.

Clevedon had a great chance to double the lead on 39 minutes when they were awarded a penalty. The ball was played into the box where Ferris was tripped by the unfortunate Woodley and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. Lucas Vowles stepped up and put the ball to Powell’s right and with the keeper guessing correctly he pulled off a fine save.

Clevedon doubled the lead in the 44th minute from a set-piece. Holden’s corner from the right was swung to the near post where Camper out-jumped his marker to nod the ball home. A minute later and they scored again as Ferris’ backheel fell to Tyler Ashmead to smash the ball across Powell to make the score 3-0 at the interval.

Cadbury Heath came out at the start of the second half looking to get back into the game and went close on 49 minutes when the ball was played into the Clevedon box and eventually fell to skipper Simon McElroy on the right edge of the six-yard box, but his shot only found the side-netting.

Two minutes later they went even closer when a corner from the right by George Boon was headed goalwards but luckily for the home side Ashmead was on hand to head the ball off the line.

Clevedon extended their lead with 20 minutes to play. Vowles’ run into the box saw him beat several defenders before unleashing a fierce shot that flew across Powell and into the corner of the net to make the score 4-0.

Within two minutes Cadbury Heath had a consolation goal. Harrison Kyte’s cross from the right found substitute Ross Moorhead and he laid the ball off for Sacha Tong to tap the ball home at the far post.

Clevedon are next in action on Saturday afternoon when they visit Shortwood United. Kick-off is at 3pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times