Clevedon Town bring back the points from Bridport

PUBLISHED: 11:17 12 December 2018

Lucas Vowles.

Lucas Vowles.


Clevedon Town brought back all three points from the league match at Bridport, following an excellent performance.

Bridport 1

Clevedon Town 4

Despite the recent heavy rain, Clevedon were still able to travel to St. Mary’s Field to take on Bridport in the Toolstation Western League Premier Division and returned with the three points after an excellent performance saw them run out 4-1 winners.

Clevedon created the first opportunity when Harry Smith found Elliot Nicholson, who cut inside before unleashing a 25-yard shot that was heading into the top corner of the net before home keeper Jason Hutchings turned the ball around the post.

Clevedon had to be grateful to Sam Blackiston in the 12th minute when Tyler Ashmead’s under-hit back pass held up on the heavy pitch and presented Sam Clark with a direct run on goal.

Blackiston was up to the challenge and made a great save, with the ball rebounding to the Bridport striker whose follow-up shot was cleared off the line by Clevedon skipper Callum Kingdon.

Clevedon took the lead on 16 minutes. Smith played the ball down the middle for Syd Camper to take in his stride and with his route to goal blocked, Camper hit a sweetly-struck shot that flew across Jason Hutchings and into the far corner of the net.

Bridport equalised on 28 minutes when the ball was played through and with Clevedon unsuccessfully appealing for offside, Leighton Thomas had the time and space to fire the ball past Sam Blackiston.

After the break, Clevedon took the lead in the 56th minute. Ashmead’s run was stopped illegally and the visitors were awarded a free-kick. Smith’s ball into the box was missed by everybody but was collected at the far post by Lucas Vowles who netted.

Bridport nearly equalised, when Thomas’ goal-bound effort was magnificently cleared off the line by Kingdon.

Clevedon went further ahead a minute later. Camper’s superb defence-splitting pass put Vowles through on goal and he beat the keeper to make the score 1-3.

Clevedon made sure of the win on 80 minutes. Ashmead’s run saw the ball played to Vowles just inside the box and his attempted shot was blocked with the rebound collected by Archie Ferris, who made no mistake to smash the ball past Hutchings and into the net.

This was an excellent team performance and it would be impossible to single out any individual Clevedon player as the man of the match.

Clevedon are next in action on Saturday when Cribbs visit The Everyone Active Stadium with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: S Blackiston, T Ashmead, E Nicholson, C Kingdon (c), T Baker, D Lock, L Vowles, H Smith, A Ferris, S Holden (H Walton 82), S Camper.

Report and photos courtesy of

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times