Clevedon get back to winning ways at home to Brislington

PUBLISHED: 12:09 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 12:09 14 February 2018

Lucas Vowles.

Lucas Vowles.


Clevedon Town got back to winning ways after two defeats with victory over Brislington.

Clevedon Town 3

Brislington 1

On the back of two defeats, Clevedon Town got back to winning ways with a hard-fought victory over a determined Brislington side that led until the 73rd minute when the home side got back on level terms before scoring two more goals to seal the win.

On a playing surface that held up well to the constant rain, Clevedon created the first chance in the fourth minute when Alex Russell played a long ball to debutant Saikou Janneh who headed on for Lucas Vowles to run at goal and the young striker managed to hold off Brislington skipper Jason Hughes before seeing his shot saved by keeper Chris Blammon.

A good Clevedon passing move in the 17th minute saw the ball moved from Janneh to skipper Clayton Fortune to Kevin Camargo and finally to Liam Dempsey, who cut inside and shot straight at Blammon.

Clevedon had a great chance to take the lead a minute later when Russell found Vowles and his run took him past his marker before getting to the bye-line and squaring the ball to the far post where Tyler Ashmead shot back across goal and wide of the post.

A run by Ashmead on 29 minutes saw the ball deflected out for a corner which Russell swung in towards the penalty spot where Dempsey volleyed the ball wide of the far post.

The visitors took the lead on 45 minutes when a crossfield ball found Ricky Chandler and he cut back inside Sekani Simpson before unleashing a low shot that flew into the far corner of the net.

Clevedon came out after the break looking to get back on level terms and in the 48th minute a strong run down the right by Ashmead saw him cut into the box before sending a cross-shot wide of the far post.

Clevedon had to be grateful to Damien Freeman in the 56th minute when a Chandler cross found Neikell Plummer at the far post and his header produced an excellent save from the keeper.

On 67 minutes Simpson made progress down the right and found Vowles on the edge of the box who cut inside and unleashed a left-foot shot straight at Blammon.

Clevedon equalised on 73 minutes when Janneh marked his debut with a goal. The ball was played down the middle for the striker who calmly placed the ball past the advancing Blammon.

The home side took the lead nine minutes later in spectacular fashion. Dempsey received the ball with his back to goal 25 yards out before turning and smashing the ball in off the post giving the keeper no chance.

Clevedon made the game safe in the third minute of injury time when a long ball found Janneh and his shot was saved by Blammon with the rebound falling to Fortune 20 yards from goal and the skipper calmly sent a left-foot shot back into the net to make the final score 3-1.

With no game next weekend, Clevedon are next in action on February 21 when they visit Wellington in the quarter-finals of the Somerset Premier Cup with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: D Freeman, S Simpson, L Dempsey, T Baker, G Hayer, C Fortune, A Russell, K Camargo, L Vowles, S Janneh, T Ashmead.

Report and photos courtesy of

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times