Clevedon edged out of the FA Cup at the preliminary round stage

PUBLISHED: 17:09 22 August 2017 | UPDATED: 17:09 22 August 2017

Isaac Reid.

Isaac Reid.


Clevedon Town were knocked out of the FA Cup at the preliminary stage by Barnstaple Town.

Barnstaple Town 1

Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon Town travelled to Southern League Barnstaple Town for this FA Cup preliminary round tie and went down to a single goal defeat from a game that they created enough chances to have won.

In the 13th minute a quick throw-in by Clevedon captain Ollie Barnes found Daine O’Connor, who managed to advance into the box before seeing his shot blocked.

For the remainder of the half both teams traded possession without troubling either defence until the last minute when Clevedon had a great opportunity to go in ahead. O’Connor intercepted the ball and had a clear run at goal with just Robbie Powell to beat, but the Barnstaple keeper easily saved the shot.

In the first minute of stoppage time, a flowing move saw Conor O’Sullivan find Kane Ingram, who played in O’Connor in another one-on-one, but he could only slice his shot wide.

Clevedon created another good opportunity right at the start of the second half when Kane Ingram crossed to the unmarked O’Sullivan, but he could only send his shot wide.

Further chances fell to Joe Hance and Isaac Reid before the visitors were made to pay for not taking their chances when Barnstaple took the lead in the 62nd minute when Jordan Charran headed the ball into the net to make the score 1-0.

O’Connor, Ingram and Ollie Barnes all had further chances, but the home side held on to progress to the next round.

Clevedon Town: D Freeman, S Simpson, K Gazzard, C Kingdon, O Barnes (c), C Fortune, J Hance (I Reid 55), R Gissing (S Holden 63), D O’Connor, K Ingram, C O’Sullivan (L Vowles 72).

Hengrove Athletic 0

Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon Town travelled to Norton Lane to take on Hengrove Athletic in the first-ever league game between the two sides and despite dominating possession, they had to settle for a point from a goal-less draw.

Clevedon started the game on the offensive and Liam Dempsey, Callum Kingdon and Daine O’Connor all had efforts saved or just wide.

On 29 minutes the Clevedon fans thought they had taken the lead when a Conor O’Sullivan cross found Kane Ingram, but his shot hit the side netting.

Further efforts came from Kaine Gazzard, Liam Dempsey and Ingram, while at the other end, Hengrove went close with a 35-yard lob.

Clevedon should have taken the lead in the 47th minute when good work by Sekani Simpson and Joe Hance, set up O’Conno, but his shot was saved. The visitors went close again when Liam Dempsey shot over the bar.

Clevedon sent on all three substitutes in an effort to get the winner and two of them combined on 86 minutes when a Sam Holden cross found Lucas Vowles, whose turn and shot was blocked.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times