Clevedon put five past sorry Brislington

PUBLISHED: 14:04 23 December 2018 | UPDATED: 14:04 23 December 2018

Clevedon Town won 5-1. Picture: Pitchero/Clevedon Town

Clevedon Town won 5-1. Picture: Pitchero/Clevedon Town


Clevedon Town put on a five-star performance as they hammered Brislington 5-1 on Saturday.

They moved up to fourth in the table after collecting their fourth consecutive win, sealing a Toolstation Western League Premier Division double over their opponents.

Clevedon went close on four minutes when Tyler Ashmead played the ball through for Lucas Vowles to outpace Joe Durrant who sent his shot over the bar.

However, just a minute later and the visitors took the lead.

Harry Smith’s excellent pass put Vowles through and his shot was well saved by Luke Wilson who attempted to dive on the loose ball. Quick thinking by Archie Ferris saw him get to the ball first and lay it back to Vowles to smash home.

Clevedon almost doubled the lead on 13 minutes when Vowles got down the left before turning and crossing to the far post where Ashmead drew an excellent point-blank save from Wilson.

Brislington’s keeper was keeping the home side in it, and his good work was rewarded with an equaliser on 20 minutes. A poor Clevedon clearance fell to Sol Shearer on the edge of the box and he made no mistake by firing the ball into the corner of the net giving Dylan Wallis no chance.

Clevedon continued to dominate though and their pressure finally paid off when they retook the lead on 36 minutes.

Vowles’ reverse pass found Ashmead galloping down the right and he picked out Sam Holden in the box whose shot slipped through the hands of Wilson to hand the visitors a 2-1 half-time lead.

Brislington had a great chance to equalise on 50 minutes when Mason Dagger’s cross from the right found Oaklan Buck completely unmarked at the far post but Wallis stood tall and forced the striker to head the ball straight into his hands.

Clevedon went further ahead on 63 minutes thanks to some quick thinking by Syd Camper. The ball went out of play and out of the ground for a Clevedon throw-in but Camper picked up a spare ball and found Ferris in space down the left. He still had a lot of work to do but the outcome never looked in doubt as he cut into the box and smashed the ball past Wilson and into the net to make the score 3-1.

Two minutes later and Clevedon had their fourth. A Camper free-kick from the right was cleared straight to Harry Smith on the edge of the box and he calmly picked his spot to give Wilson no chance.

A mazy run by substitute Jack Sell on 84 minutes looked to have produced Clevedon’s 5th when his shot was saved by Wilson with the rebound falling straight to Ferris but he could only place his shot narrowly wide of the post.

A minute later and they did get the fifth. A strong run down the right by Ashmead saw his cross deflected behind for a corner. Syd Camper took the corner and sent the ball to the far post where Danny Lock showed more desire than his markers to get his head on the ball and make it 5-1.

Chances for a sixth came and went but it was a great day for Clevedon Town in front of a 48-strong crowd.

Report: Town

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times