Rich’s late equaliser extends in-form Ashton & Backwell’s unbeaten run to eight games

PUBLISHED: 17:30 16 October 2019

Harry Walker grabs one back for Ashton and Backwell against Corsham Town to the start the comeback at the Recreation Ground.

Harry Walker grabs one back for Ashton and Backwell against Corsham Town to the start the comeback at the Recreation Ground.

John Cuthbertson

Charlie Rich’s last-gasp free-kick made it eight games unbeaten for Ashton & Backwell as they came from behind twice to grab a 3-3 draw with Corsham Town at the Recreation Ground.

A bumper Non-League Day crowd of 105 witnessed a lively contest between two evenly matched sides and it was the visitors who opened the scoring after 12 minutes.

Town's Josh Bright, on the centre circle, intercepted an attempted quick clearance by Lewis Coombes and supplied Luke Curtis on the left and he eluded the Stags defence to pick his spot with a fine strike into the bottom right corner, just past a diving Coombes who could only get fingertips to the ball.

Marcus Jones's men almost equalised straight away after James White headed the ball on to the top of the crossbar from a Saul Jarrett cross before going 2-0 down as Bright's sharp shot went in from 30 yards.

On 37 minutes, the hosts halved the deficit when George Jones was upended in the box by Ali Mayoh and a cool-headed Bishop neatly slotted home for 2-1.

And a couple of minutes later the game was all square after a lovely team goal as Spence received the ball near the halfway line and after a marvellous piece of skill picked out Harry Walker to send his header past Alex Avenell.

With chances far and few between, the Reds went back in front on 62 minutes as a mistake from Charlie Saunders let in Josh Hard to break into the box and, despite Coombes saving well, Hard smashed in the rebound to make it 3-2.

Hard could have added a fourth after being put in by Bright but a wonderful last-ditch tackle from Jacob Spence kept the Stags in the game.

With time running out and wave after wave of attacks A&B - who have shown high levels of fitness throughout the season - were awarded a free-kick on 90 minutes after Connor Saunders was fouled on the edge of the box.

Substitute Rich stepped up and his curling effort went around the side of the wall and ended up in the bottom left hand corner of the net to spark pandemonium.

But there was still time for Coombes to save from Mayoh's header as the game ended all level after a six-goal thriller.

A&B are back in action this Saturday when they host Warminster Town at 3pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times