Fitness and character shine through the heavy showers

PUBLISHED: 09:58 15 August 2018 | UPDATED: 09:58 15 August 2018

A great shot of a soccer ball Doni and I shot with the rest of the sports stuff. Man, the sun was hot that day!

A great shot of a soccer ball Doni and I shot with the rest of the sports stuff. Man, the sun was hot that day!

Copyright 2010 ArixMedia, LLC. All rights reserved. Licensed under the ArixMedia Content License Agreement. For more information

Ashton & Backwell United scored a late goal away at Welton Rovers to earn a point.

Welton Rovers 3

Ashton & Backwell Utd 3

The match started in light drizzle, but as the intensity of the rain grew so did that of the game.

The first 22 minutes were without incident, not a single shot on target at either end. For Stags fans the only thing of note was the debut of Dan Elson at centre-forward. Then, without warning, the game changed, but there was a great deal for the fans to savour.

On 23 minutes, the referee played advantage despite a Welton foul, the ball met by an advancing Devoy and his pass found Flower in the box who teed the ball up and volleyed into the roof of the net.

Four minutes later there was real drama and concern. A high ball was sent into the Stags half, Bishop and Biggins collided going for it, the former laying prostrate on the ground, while Cooper controlled the bounce and steered the ball past Coombes for the equaliser.

Both physios ran onto the pitch to treat Bishop and Biggins who were bleeding profusely from head wounds and both were taken to Paulton Hospital for treatment, Connor Saunders and Aaron Read coming on as substitutes.

After the break with the rain getting harder, it was still largely one-way traffic, a Devoy kick off the line on 53 minutes a vital interception. Then three minutes later, against the run of play, Devoy found Elson in the box, who passed to Townsend to score from 20 yards.

Stags were struggling to keep the lead, but a combination of good work from defence and goalkeeper kept them on top, before Welton equalised with 20 minutes left on the clock.

With five minutes left, Welton took the lead, but the visitors plugged away and man of the match Harry Walker moved forward from the halfway line and from about 30 yards sent in a calculated lob, which was enough to beat Drewett and level the scores.

On Saturday, the Stags are home to Devizes (3pm) at the Lancer Scott Stadium, Backwell.

Team: Coombes, Devoy, Walker, Ellis, Bishop (c) (Read), Biggins (C Saunders 33), Flower, Hardidge, Elson, Townsend, Jarrett (G Saunders).

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists