All square in pre-season friendly derby

PUBLISHED: 17:25 25 July 2017

Nailsea & Tickenham v Clevedon Town.

Nailsea & Tickenham v Clevedon Town.


Nailsea & Tickenham enjoyed a 2-2 draw against close neighbours Clevedon Town in a pre-season friendly.

Nailsea & Tickenham 2

Clevedon Town 2

In front of a large crowd, Nailsea & Tickenham welcomed Toolstation Premier League Clevedon Town to Fryth Way for their second pre-season game.

Preparation for the game was disrupted as four players were unable to get to the game at short notice and the Swags had to start the game with the bare 11 players.

Within two minutes Luke Patten picked up an injury which saw evergreen assistant Richard Lucas forced into donning the kit and making a cameo role. It was the home side who took the lead on 19 minutes, Chris Gale unleashing a 25-yard thunderbolt.

On 25 minutes Nailsea had a penalty turned down when Mat Pilgrim appeared to be felled in the box by Ollie Barnes. Play went on and Connor O’Sullivan was brought down at the other end for a penalty. Although Gary Clarke got a hand to the ball, Issac Reid equalised for the visitors.

Charlie Ashton arrived in time to save Lucas at the start at the second half. Despite having the majority of possession and Clevedon’s midfield pairing of Mountford and Fortune moving the ball around, the defensive shape of Nailsea held firm, frustrating Clevedon’s game plan.

On 64 minutes, Nailsea retook the lead, Pilgrim’s long-range effort deceiving Kieron Hodges. Four minutes later it was all square. Kane Ingram’s free kick from an acute angle found its way past the wall in at the near post.

Yet another injury saw Lucas re-enter the fray and the Swags held firm to the final whistle.

India Cottage man of the match was Chris Gale.

Fry’s Res 1

Nailsea & Tickenham Res 3

The winners of last season’s Division 2 West and East, Nailsea & Tickenham Reserves and Fry’s met in this pre-season friendly.

The game was played on an excellent surface at former Cadburys factory site in Keynsham.

N&T gave debuts to youngsters Danny Robbins and Reece Comvery, who both impressed. Player-manager Jamie Smith deputised in goal behind a back four of Smith, Bracey, Wallington and James, who dealt well with the Frys counter-attacks comfortably.

The Swags took the lead when a Latta corner was headed back across by Mark Ashley and finished by Ring o’Bells man of the match Wes Bracey.

Some neat passing in midfield and good work by new boys Joe Pratt and Jerry Connors down both flanks caused Frys problems on several occasions during the first-half.

Last season’s top goalscorer Mark Ashley increased the lead with a cool finish off inside of the post after great work down the right from Bracey. Fry’s were able to pull one back before half-time to make it 2-1.

Several changes during the second half including the introduction of another debutant Nick Ryan and also Chris Corner increased the Swags bite in midfield. Fry’s did press for an equaliser and Smith had to turn a close-range shot onto the post to protect the lead. Jerry Connors scored with minutes left to ensure the win with a well-taken chip.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times