10-man Portishead hold out for victory

PUBLISHED: 14:41 08 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:41 08 February 2017

Reduced to 10 men for the last 20 minutes, Portishead Town held out for a narrow victory against Chard Town.

Portishead Town 3

Chard Town 2

Following a below performance in a goalless draw against Welton last week, Portishead were determined to gain three points against the visitors Chard.

Posset came out of the blocks strongly with Ollie Trevarthen and Tyler Davis looking dangerous up front. Town had changed their shape to play two up front and to give Trevarthen more support.

This gave James Hughes and Luke Mortimore the opportunity to utilise the width and to provide ammunition for the strikers. Portishead broke the deadlock when a cross from Calum Townsend found Trevarthen in space at the near post and he headed home the opening goal.

It was just reward for a bright opening 25 minutes from Portishead and things got even better in the 32nd minute when Townsend ran onto a through ball and finished well.

The third Posset goal four minutes later was the pick when the lively Mortimore raced down the right-hand side and put in a perfect cross which found Trevarthen in space at the far post and he buried the header.

It was all one-way traffic and Chard had threatened little with Dan Worton virtually redundant in the Town goal and the first-half finished 3-0 with the home team well on top.

It was a different story in the second half. Posset had several chances to put the game to bed, with Trevarthen and Davis missing some good chances. However, the game changed with 20 minutes to go when Kieran Marsden was shown a straight red card for a reckless high challenge.

Portishead changed their shape to accommodate the sending off, but with only 15 minutes left on the clock, Ryan Mason, the Chard left-back, fired in a speculative shot that caught Worton well off his line and Chard had been thrown a lifeline.

The impetus was well and truly with Chard and they closed the gap even more when Scott Jakeman put in a cross shot that found its way into the top corner of the Town net.

A nervous Town managed to see out the game and held on to win 3-2, but nerves were definitely jangling towards the end.

Lloyd Harding, Will Cook and Joe Ellis were strong defensively, but Mortimore was deservedly voted man of the match.

Portishead have moved three places up the league, but they have to close out games more convincingly if they want to be in the top six at the end of the season.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times