10-man Clevedonm Town hit for six at Melksham

PUBLISHED: 15:06 15 February 2017 | UPDATED: 15:06 15 February 2017

James Fisher.

James Fisher.


Clevedon Town, reduced to 10 men for nearly an hour, lost heavily at Melksham Town.

Melksham Town 6

Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon Town arrived at Melksham’s recently opened Oakfield Stadium with two new recruits in Jack Boughton from Longwell Green and local lad Joe Hance on work experience from Cheltenham Town.

Clevedon created a good chance in the 22nd minute when a long ball caused problems for the home defence. Keeper Rob Brown rushed out to the edge of his box and jumped to block the ball under pressure from man of the match James Fisher, but missed it. Unfortunately Fisher could not take advantage.

The game turned decisively in the home team’s favour in the 25th minute when Clevedon were reduced to 10 men.

A long ball forward was chased by Gary Higdon and Glen Hayer raced across and challenged the Melksham man with both players finishing in a heap on the ground. Much to the annoyance of the Clevedon bench, the referee deemed that it was a foul and as the last man he was sent off.

Melksham took the lead on 28 minutes when a corner was met at the near post by Mike Perrot, whose headed flick nestled into the far corner of the net. Things got worse for Clevedon on 43 minutes when keeper Sam Burgess went over on his ankle and had to be replaced by substitute Alex White, who took over in goal.

Melksham doubled their lead in the sixth minute of stoppage time when Lee Davidson’s free kick was headed home by Higdon to make the score 2-0.

Clevedon managed their first shot on target on 53 minutes when Fisher laid the ball back to substitute Hance, whose shot was deflected over the bar.

Melksham went further ahead in the 56th minute in a carbon copy of their second goal. A free-kick was nodded home by Sammy Jordan. Hance was starting to make his presence felt in the Clevedon midfield and on 59 minutes his run and shot saw the ball go just wide of the post.

The luck that had deserted Clevedon was in evidence again in the 61st minute when a blocked shot fell to Jordan and he stroked the ball home to make the score 4-0.

Jake Harris created a good chance for Sam Downe on 86 minutes but his shot went just wide, before Melksham scored twice in last couple of minutes to finish the scoring.

Clevedon will have the opportunity to bounce back tonight (Wednesday) when they visit Cadbury Heath with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Report and photos courtesy of www.pitchero.com/clubs/clevedontown

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times