England have created 'history' by beating Germany says Declan Rice
- Credit: PA
Declan Rice said England had created a "piece of history" after finally beating Germany at a major tournament for the first time since 1966.
England are celebrating a mammoth European Championship victory against Germany after goals from Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane fired Gareth Southgate's men into the quarter-finals where they will face Ukraine.
"It's history," the midfielder told BBC Sport. "In the press conferences all week the players have been asked about the previous games against Germany and today we created our own piece of history.
"We've made the most of our opportunity today and it was a pleasure to be out on the pitch."
Rice said England's players had been aware of the criticism they had received during the competition.
You may also want to watch:
"If you look at the group games, a lot of people had written us off, there had been complaints about the performances, not scoring enough goals," he said.
"You read a load of things, but as players you put that to the back of your mind and you want to prove people wrong and I think today, with a full house - everybody had that fire in their bellies."
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 3 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 4 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 5 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 6 Driving group needs more volunteers
- 7 Camera club wants new members to join
- 8 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 9 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront
- 10 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes