Convincing victory for Gryphons

PUBLISHED: 14:39 07 November 2012

Gryphons grabbed a convincing victory against their promotion-pushing rivals.

Somerset Gryphons Men’s 1st XI 3

Westbury & UB B 0

AN innovative formation helped Gryphons grab a convincing victory against their promotion-pushing rivals.

Gryphons pressured Westbury’s defence from the start and Dave Edgar and Mark Kirk’s dominant distribution led to Ross Leighton calmly lobbing the ball past the keeper to secure 1-0 at half-time.

The second half saw some sublime skill resulting in Leighton’s second and left Westbury astonished with no reply.

Gryphons’ defence of captain Sam Wynne, Brad Krone and Andy Leatt, quashed any counter attacks and keeper Steve Proctor ensured a clean sheet.

Leading by example, Wynne cunningly placed a deflection home to secure 3-0 and the three points.

Somerset Gryphons Men’s 2nd XI 9

Old Bristolians C 0

GRYPHONS besieged Bristolians’ goal and should have secured double figures.

The match started slowly, but Scott Mills’ opener gave Gryphons carte blanche. Gryphons started to systematically smack Bristolians goal to keep them constantly on the back foot.

Although several goals down, Bristolians looked composed and determined at half-time.

Several smooth passes saw Gryphons score within 10 seconds of the restart and left Bristolians demoralised for the rest of the game. Gryphons’ defence stayed strong and Bristolians barely tested the goalkeeper.

Mills finished with a hat-trick, Matt Pimble and Simon Price hit two apiece, David Procter one and defender Jason Hulbert strayed upfront to nutmeg the keeper.

Somerset Gryphons Men’s 3rd XI 1

Old Bristolians E 0

THE thirds triumphed over their local rivals after dedicated dominance across the board.

The team gelled instantly and strung together precise passes during authoritative attacks. Determination turned into a short corner and Carl Nicholson nabbed the winner from a rebound.

The defence remained durable and great goalkeeping kept the clean sheet. Chris Harrison led from the front, midfielder Nick Jarvis was vigilant and keeper Mark Fear’s dedicated double save in the dying minutes spared the draw.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times